Lindal Usonians?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Well put. I'm pleased that the school and the Foundation were fully involved with this part of Lindal's venture, and I hope there is a positive response from
potential home-builders.

The modernist segment of the market has always been small; presumably one of the positives is that the earnest pioneers were and are serious about taking
a different path. They know what they want, they are if anything proud to be members of a more or less exclusive "club," and they can rightly claim logic and
rationality in defense of their aesthetic choice.

And modernism, often in the form of MCM, is as strong an interest, apparently, as it has ever been. Everyone knows who Design Within Reach is, and Dwell
Magazine continues to sell well to the segment. Perhaps the Frank Lloyd Wright niche is the segment's Cadillac or Mercedes, bearer of the crown or golden
orb of American Modern ?

SDR

jay

Post by jay »

Lindal Cedar Homes posted a rendering of their Gordon-inspired home...
(Interesting to see a pretty wide deviation from the original)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtWDYLjFaiW/

SDR

Post by SDR »

The SF Sunday paper gave us a peek at a local architect I hadn't come across, one Julie Dowling. She seems given to classic flat-roof modernism with an emphasis on sprawling roof overhangs. Her site references Lindal, so I took a look:

https://lindal.com/blog/home_style/dowling-2230/

Ms Dowling has a twin sister holding down the East Coast office, somewhere in New Jersey . . .

S

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I like DOWLING STUDIOS 2230. The plan is quite rational. It does need overhangs on the main structure so that it would look less like a shoe box.

If you have a relatively large lot with a view this could be just what you are looking for.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ms Dowling is not the originator of this tripartite house form; a number of mid-century modernists played with it first, and no doubt they were inspired by earlier examples. I associate it with Harvard GSD-trained
architects; Philip Johnson and Ulrich Franzen come to mind. And their boxes were without overhanging roofs---in Johnson's George Oneto house (1951) there are no extended roofs at all, while Franzen's Beatty house has
a raised central roof providing protection for a terrace---as in the Dowling house.

Even such far-flung designers as Ralph Rapson might be said to have explored this territory---in his Case Study #4--- and certain Ellwood, Koenig and Rodney Walker designs appear, on the exterior at least, to partake of the form.

The major tapered beams supporting the Dowling-designed residence's central roof make a noteworthy decorative structural element . . . as well as a handsome advertisement for the Lindal product line ?

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Moreover: the nearest thing we have to this form, in Wright's work, might be the symmetrical tripartite spatial arrangement of thirteen Prairie-period interiors: Hickox, Henderson, Walser, Westcott, Martin, Barton, Cheney, Brown, DeRhodes, Horner, Ingalls, Irving, Balch.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The Dowling plan does go back, indeed, but Rapson is a bridge too far. While Ellwood is a definite 'yes', neither Koenig nor Walker would fit into that category of ultimate simplicity.

When listing FLW's contributions (whether logical or not), don't forget Dana.

SDR

Post by SDR »

In keeping with Dowling et al, I selected only the Wright examples whose main space(s) are bilaterally symmetrical. True, neither Koenig nor Walker made likewise symmetrical plan arrangements;
I was drawn to exterior photographs in the MOCA Case Study book which suggested in a couple of cases---erroneously---forms analogous to the study subject. I should have left well enough alone . . .

I would love to see more examples of the type---equal closed spaces bookending a glazed center---from those who actually used it. It seems I returned Bill's "Harvard Five in New Canaan" too soon;
I wish I had it at hand. Floor plans of these East Coast modernists' work are not thick on the ground . . .

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Dana actually is of the type, but it consists of the living room, flanked by the two porches. Stretching it a bit, but it counts.

Another house that fits the type, which was recently listed as being in danger of demolition, is Gordon Bunshaft's own house, except that the midsection has only one wall of glass, the entrance façade being entirely closed.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Eliot Noyes' own house in New Canaan follows this theme but with a courtyard substituting for the open plan central functions and the living/ dining/ kitchen off to one side.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1346& ... 7953237322

SDR

Post by SDR »

So, how far back is a prototype ? Did Palladio play thus, or . . . ?

S

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I would make the following changes to DOWLING STUDIOS 2230 to make it visually more Wrightian.

1) Make the central section 12' feet tall with 3' clerestory windows all around the perimeter.
2) Make the central section roof flat with one or two-foot overhangs.
3) Make the extension over the patio an extension of the central section roof.
4) Make the two bedroom sections 9' tall with four-foot overhangs with two-foot clerestory windows around the perimeter.
5) Make a four-foot walkway around the building so you can exit a bedroom and walk to the patio.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Great.

Or, we could make DOWLING STUDIOS 2230 less visually Wrightian.

1) Remove all overhangs.
2) Raise the house off the ground on pilotis.
3) Make strip windows halfway up the walls.
4) Cover the exterior surfaces with plaster, smooth stucco, or other render.
5) Paint random plastered interior surfaces with primary or tertiary colors.

S

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

SDR,
I know you are mocking my suggestions, but I like the floor plan and thought my suggestions might make it more appealing.

Paul

SDR

Post by SDR »

No offense intended, Paul; I couldn't resist going "the other way," just to see where it would lead. I like the Dowling design as it is, I guess . . .

I've spent considerable time, over the years, contemplating what it would take to make a typical ranch house "more Wrightian." When you see one of those low-slung numbers
with a face-brick "wainscote" running across the front, below the windows, you can't help thinking that the designer was channeling Mr Wright---consciously or unconsciously ?

S