Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Glasgow School of Art -- again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a Flickr post:

"The new blaze comes as a major restoration led by architects Page\Park was nearing completion. The £35 million project, due to complete next year, involved recreating the library, the most celebrated room at the school, which was destroyed in the previous fire on 23 May 2014"
Reidy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BBC account links to a story that the neighborhood has a history of disastrous fires going back almost 60 years.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . and a link from that link:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-41205642

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://tinyurl.com/y8tfx94z

Excellent and unusual photos of the building in this story about the earlier fire:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2637430/Firefighters-tackle-major-blaze-listed-building-leading-European-art-school-started-projector-exploded.html

SDR
Meisolus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a little hope:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/18/shell-of-glasgow-school-of-art-building-may-be-saved-from-demolition
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it is inevitable, in a case like this, to at least consider alternatives to a complete replication of what was lost. It is a noticeable phenomenon
that among the first to propose new design for a new day, will be architects. I am not alone in admiring instances of adaptive reuse of historic fabric,
instances of which are becoming relatively thick on the ground in the "ancient lands," Europe and Asia.

I could imagine a thoughtful combination of historic repair and recreation for parts of the school, while others might find new construction -- for new
programs -- within the original masonry shell where it survives in sound shape. (And, yes, rebuilding an original wall, brick by brick, is far from
impossible.) As the library was being successfully restored at the time of the new conflagration, perhaps what was learned there, and any existing
replicated parts and pieces, might be used rather than wasted, in a thorough and complete new library replica, (hopefully) once and for all ?

Some, those who suspect foul play in the first place, especially, might rue the capitulation to present-day wants and needs in a reuse of the site from
its original form and purpose. But, nothing lasts forever, and I believe that the great designers we revere and honor, here, would indeed be the first to
propose meaningful progress in the form of new building there.

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given up on the conspiracy theory. I just thought that since Hoffa, JFK and Elvis have their running commentary, not to mention the ineffable Judge Crater, it might be interesting to have an architectural mystery of our own.

Considering that $46M has already been spent and lost on the rectifying the first fire, spending the considerably larger amount on a restoration of the entire school will probably be more than can be afforded, especially if it were to continue to serve its original function. A compromise will probably be worked out ... like that church in war-torn Germany where a new, modern building was built adjacent to a ravaged remnant.
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The loss, especially for the second time, is a tragedy. I would hope that if the decision to not fully restore/rebuild is taken, that at least some of the signature interior spaces, particularly the library, and some bit of the exterior are rebuilt as part of a new facility. The last thing I'd want to see is faux Mackintosh ("Mockintosh"), as a kitschy replacement.

Steven Holl's annex across the street is thoughtfully designed, new, and laudable...a bit stark by comparison to its surroundings, but patina of age will help that.
https://www.dezeen.com/2014/03/06/glasgow-school-of-art-reid-building-steven-holl/
Meisolus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick, you may have given up the conspiracy theory, but I don't think Architectural Record has:

https://www.architecturalrecord.com/articles/13488-glasgow-school-of-art-ravaged-by-fire?id=13488-glasgow-school-of-art-ravaged-by-fire&ajs_uid=5124C7736801J5Z&ajs_trait_oebid=3782E0258467B1M
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Meisolus. While the crime of neglect-of-duty is raised as a subject, the author isn't suggesting arson, nor has anyone else as far as I
know. It is troubling, nevertheless, to learn that no temporary system of alarm nor of fire suppression was apparently present in the still-under-restoration
building . . .

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Category A: "buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type."

See Scotland, on this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listed_building

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Meisolus, it looks like there may be fodder for a conspiracy after all. Now the first thing to ascertain: Is there a grassy knoll nearby?
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I see no conspiracy, only carelessness ? Perhaps if two people are careless (or even criminally negligent) within sight of each other, that's a conspiracy . . .

SDR
outside in

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when the call went out for architects and contractors for the rebuilding of the library fire. The RFP was distributed internationally, and the teams were scrutinized to an alarming level. Websites were constructed to show progress, and the school promoted the initial restoration as one of the finest in the country, if not the world. And now we hear that there was no temporary fire protection during the work? It is the most common time for a fire to occur. I am truly shocked at the amateur construction administration exhibited by the client, contractor and architects.
Meisolus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad they are using the word "dismantled" but this still worries me. Plus I'm really getting annoyed with this doom and gloom Alan Dunlop. He's been quoted in a number of articles and likes to use the word "pastiche", which might be my least favorite word in the English language.

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/mac-to-be-dismantled-after-warnings-of-likely-collapse/10032610.article
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: