Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Erdman Prefabs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Erdman Prefabs Reply with quote

Creating a thread for new discussions and links to pre-outage threads about the Erdman Prefabs.

Cass "Crimson Beach" Prefab 1:
http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=10297&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=f02ec798773362fec9378adc1806725b

Van Tamelen Prefab 1:
http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=8574&sid=786b60174e26284e8abbae5aa8cd01d1

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=5518&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=50ed0226424421bba1aaf5c00d678246

Iber Prefab 1
http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?p=75039&sid=bba25da920c406d942999f9f926d23b3

Duncan Prefab 1 and Andersen "Flexivent" windows:
http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=7122&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=3a804268d1e68b87548c0819dab4558e

Prefabs 1&2 on page 4:
http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=2537&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45&sid=1b3ead8ff0f99d1922cd68a92fe2fbb5
DRN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll open with a great picture taken in the Rudin house in Madison WI with Iovanna Wright at the foot of the stair. Her presence in the pic illustrates the scale of the room:

Forest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obtained these marketing materials from the Erdman company in the 1960's, after they had discontinued the Wright models.

The cover folder:

Forest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brochure:

]

Forest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prospectus:

DRN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forest, many thanks for sharing these! I believe I had only seen the cover folder, maybe the first page of the brochure and nothing of the prospectus. This is great stuff!
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful. The Prospectus is a treasure; much of what constitutes the architect's approach to building is contained in it. "Upon Completion" is a fitting conclusion to the adventure of building a Wright-designed home . . .

Odd that, among the materials listed in "The Package," roof rafters are mentioned but not roof sheathing. We know a Wright roof might occasionally fail to satisfy -- but that's a bad way to begin, isn't it ?

Smile
Matt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. I've always thought the Erdman prefab was the dullest home Wright every designed...if in fact he designed it. But there is a "Crestview" model in the brochure that seems much more interesting.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realize, Matt, that the Crestview model is not one of FLW's?

The Erdman Prefabs are a set of houses that must be experienced directly to be fully appreciated. I have been in McBean, Mollica and Zaferiou, all of which are very charming, though less "Wrightian" than most of FLW's work. One disconcerting detail is scale, which is somewhat larger than what one familiar with FLW's work might expect, as a result of the scale of the Andersen Windows.

While the one-story versions are solidly within the MCM mode, the 2-story McBean House has more of the FLW magic inside.
DRN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Roderick that the Erdman houses are best experienced in person. So far, I have only been inside one story models. They are very pleasant, well appointed houses...a different vibe than Wright’s other work in proportion and detail, but quite good when judged on their own terms.
The two story Rudin house will be on the tours at the FLWBC Conference this Fall, I’m looking forward to seeing it.
Matt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that the Wright Erdman house we know is the only design he contributed. The Crestview design seems more spacially interesting to my eye. I don't know much about the Wright design other than it's a rather plane long box with little of the movements of his other designs. Perhaps this was a requirement of prefabrication?
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's look at the published Taliesin plans of the various Erdman types.

Erdman I:

Monograph 8 (© 1988 A.D.A EDITA Tokyo Co., Ltd. and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation), p 220. This plan appears in Storrer, S.407, 408, 409, as the Jackson, Duncan, Iber, Post, and Cass residence. As S.410 (Zaferiou)
and 411 (Mollica and LaFond), it has a utility room added off the kitchen.

Taschen III (© 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation), p 445. In Storrer this plan appears first in his series, S.406, as the Van Tamelen residence.

These elevations, found in the Monograph, belong to the Taschen plan immediately above.

© 1988 A.D.A EDITA Tokyo Co., Ltd. and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erdman II plans.

Taschen III (© 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation), pp 498-9.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fine Arthur Siegel interior of the Rudin house, with Iovanna, and three additional photos of the house by Siegel as found in Taschen III.

photos © 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

And interiors of the other built Erdman II, by William Allin Storrer.

photos © 1993 by W A Storrer
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, a surprise: a third offering to Marshall Erdman by Mr Wright, which he labeled House "C." Here, as the very last entry in the final Monograph (and nearly the last in the third Taschen volume),
we find Wright proposing a simple, compact single-story suburban three-bedroom, one bath home, in layout not unlike any number of contemporary houses built in the postwar years in America.

And he sums up his own search for the family home in this efficient plan, once more centering the main space with a chimney mass about which the living, dining, and kitchen functions pinwheel.
The house employs the same two-by-four foot vertical unit, reducing the number of vertical courses to a new minimum and producing an exterior expression more felicitous than the type II prefab
by virtue of its low profile. It would be great to find a section view of this little house, to see how he manages the needed extra height beyond the three vertical units seen on the elevations and in
the view drawing. Apparently, the strong battered base -- a water table deluxe ? -- is actually a low pony wall on which the wooden construction sits, leaving a hefty masonry "baseboard" around
the perimeter of the interior ? The elevations and perspective conceal the full height of the entry door . . .

Every interior door in the house is an accordion unit. The creative architect always stays a step ahead of the competition -- right to the end ?

© 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH, © 1988 A.D.A EDITA Tokyo Co., Ltd. and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: