Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Video: Tour taken in Trier House - Johnston, IA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Video: Tour taken in Trier House - Johnston, IA Reply with quote

Iowa Gem n Jewels Tour Trier Home by F L Wright - [3:00]

David
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"String Of Pearls." How appropriate.
SREcklund

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Video: Tour taken in Trier House - Johnston, IA Reply with quote

DavidC wrote:
Iowa Gem n Jewels Tour Trier Home by F L Wright - [3:00]

David

Nice enough "video", but he needs to learn how to shoot without people in the frame. I was there with the Conservancy last month, and managed to get pictures with more house than tourists ... Smile

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
DRN

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing the pics in this Youtube presentation lends a different perspective than one has when on site and the focus is see and experience the house in a limited time....we are a bunch of middle aged to elder white people.

We need more diversity in the FLWBC. There is some, but not enough. I'm not sure how to accomplish this, but we need to in order to continue long term.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly we need younger members. One reason I stopped attending the rites is that, starting in '95, after the day's events, everyone seemed to retire for the evening at about 9:00 PM. Perhaps of necessity? Just 9 years earlier, that was the shank of the evening, which would continue to last call with conversations and tapas. I love all the old folk (I am one of them), but some young blood would help.
SREcklund

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan and Roderick are both correct - and it's a conversation I've often had with other members. It's part about finding ways to spread the excitement of the work of Wright and others to non-traditional audiences, and part making the experience more affordable for those younger and less affuent.

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
peterm

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very white and old.

My experiences on architectural tours in Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York were very different than here in the Midwest. Young and middle aged people were incredibly excited about the houses of Neutra, Schindler, Harris, Ain, A. Quincy Jones, Lloyd Wright, Wright and the likes. Many people employed in the film industry were aware of the importance of modern architecture and wished to experience it first hand, and own it if at all possible.

In the Midwest, by contrast, it’s largely retired people wearing clothing that looks more like Sears Roebuck than Banana Republic or Uniqlo. It may sound harsh and shallow, but it’s just not a “hip” crowd.

Sadly, in both locations, people of color are nearly nonexistent. The tours are too expensive and outreach just isn’t there. Maybe it needs to start in leadership and board membership?
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hip" is colloquial.
peterm

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s why I placed it in quotes. If using a perfectly common term like “hip” is somehow problematic, it’s no wonder few younger people and nonwhites are involved in these tours.

I could have said that there is a certain lack of sophistication and broader familiarity with other aspects of modernism, design, fashion, and current trends amongst many of the attendees beyond the “brand” of Frank Lloyd Wright.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hip" with or without quotes differs from place to place, which is what colloquial means. What's hip in NYC or LA may look out of place in the "flyover states." It has been my experience that people in the middle of the country are more likely to be aware of coastal hipness than coastal people are to be aware of anything they fly over going back and forth. Manhattan is, in its self gratulation, provincial.
peterm

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets put it this way. These are my impressions; I may be wrong.

This is not the same crowd who might attend an opening at the Museum of Contemporary Art or the Chicago Art Institute. More like suburbanites who have season tickets to the symphony.
SREcklund

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The structures are where they are, and they're designed by whom they're designed by. So ... is it even possible to attract a culturally and economically diverse crowd to a Wright in Oskaloosa ... incredibly "hip" owners not withstanding ... Wink

peterm

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. It is unrealistic, naive and stubborn of me to expect similar results in Iowa as in California. And the enthusiasm and turnout at the Wright Out and About tour was much appreciated.

But I only say any of this because the subject came up as to how to bring more age, economic and color diversity to the Wright community. And this couldn’t be more apparent than in the Midwest. Dan is right in saying that it is important for the long term. Some ideas:

1) Make the tours more affordable.
2) Update the design and marketing of Wright related objects and gifts. Wright would roll over in both of his graves at the sight of most of the tacky tchotchkes offered at gift shops and online.
3) Provide more access to students for free tours.
4) Work harder to place Wright’s legacy in an international context, and within the overall context of modern architecture. There was a dialogue with other architects and he was influenced by designers and artists from abroad, despite his denials.
5) Any architectural study should include Wright and his relevance in his time as well as today.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) The tours have always been part of the overall conference price. To make them more affordable would require separating them from the lectures, meals, etc. That's what Out & About does, and it would be a good thing to expand that. It would take more involvement at the local level to accomplish, however.
2) FLWBC doesn't have control of the marketing of tchotchkes of any quality. I doubt the board could be talked into getting involved in that end of things.
3) Reduced rates for students was addressed and implemented as far back as 1986 at LA. I don't know if they have a standard approach to it or not, but they should.
4) I don't know how discussing the international quality of FLW's legacy would broaden the membership of the conservancy. It wouldn't hurt to do so, but beyond possibly attracting more students of architecture, I doubt it would make a significant impact.
5) FLW's relevance, past, present, future, would be a subject for a lecturer. And that brings us back to the basic problem of cost.

I think it is not a regional difference you are talking about. FLWBC Conferences have drawn from the same pool of attendees in NYC, Mason City, LA, Minneapolis, Seattle, and so forth. I suspect the diversity of other venues, like Out & About, are similar coast to coast.
peterm

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn’t talking about the FLWBC specifically.

Would Wright approve, and how do we feel about all of this stuff, even though it brings revenue? http://www.shopwright.org/ I’m afraid it does more harm than good to the reputation of Wright.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: