Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

John Lautner and Real Architecture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: John Lautner and Real Architecture Reply with quote

Article: https://www.theobjectivestandard.com/2018/04/john-lautner-and-real-architecture/
SDR

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this article. It is a useful addition to the literature on Lautner, I think.

There is at least one error: Lautner is said to have supervised the construction of Fallingwater and of the Johnson Wax building. Donald Hoffman,
in his book on Fallingwater, cites Lautner four times in the index; in each case Lautner is quoted on Wright's thoughts and actions in general, with
no specific relation to Fallingwater.

In Jonathan Lipman's "FLLW and the Johnson Wax Buildings," Lautner is likewise found in the index four times; again there is no specific connection
to the Johnson commission except in the fourth and final case (p 175): ". . .Wright assigned apprentices John Lautner and Edgar Tafel to draft and
oversee the job." The job: Wingspread.

The linked source for this apparent misapprehension is a follow-on of the respected site NC Modernist: http://www.usmodernist.org/lautner.htm

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatsawhosit (I cannot think of his name. The curly-haired blond in that group photo in the studio, who ended up living most of his life in Spain.) was the on-site apprentice at FW according to himself, who visited Barnsdall in the late 80s. He claimed responsibility for going ahead with Kaufmann, Sr.'s re-engineering of the structure of the house resulting in extra rebar that so angered FLW that he dreamed about it. "Too much weight! Too much rebar!" he reportedly muttered in his sleep.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byron Keeler Mosher, or Bob -- "Little Sunshine" to Wright ?

So, that's the meaning of that fevered "Too heavy" remark . . . I always thought it might refer to the whole affair ! But of course not.

Last paragraphs of his entry in Tafel's "About Wright":

"I still have a letter written nearly twenty years after I left Taliesin, addressed to me in Spain: 'Dear Bobus: We were all glad to hear you are well and
happy, and, as always, hard at work with enthusiasm. Enthusiasm, Bobby, is your long suit, don't lose it. Affection, Frank Lloyd Wright. July 30, 1957,'

"Maybe that makes up for the twenty bucks [Bob's pocket money, spent by FLLW on a new beret, in Manhattan], and then some."

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: