"Northome" pictures?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
cajunfan

"Northome" pictures?

Post by cajunfan »

I am searching for any/all pictures of the Little's second residence, but am not having much luck. I realize that it was dismantled many years ago, but thought I'd find more photographs of it before that crime was committed.

I've searched this forum, but did not find much here either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

DRN

Post by DRN »

We had a thread not too long ago, but pre-outage, in which someone had linked photos taken in 1972 as demolition was proceeding. I can’t seem to find it via Google. Does anyone of us recall the thread?

There’s this with dead photo links:
http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... 93ace88dec

This:
http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... eec79894dc

Meisolus

Post by Meisolus »

I don't remember one with linked photos, but this is one I posted that has a link to a video about the house. There are several demolition pictures in the video.

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... ebe8645eeb

SDR

Post by SDR »

This evening I'll post what I can find in my library. Close-up photos of the entrance stair with multiple lanterns (and the clients) were seen here not too long ago . . .

There are several color photos in Edgar Tafel's book. And Taschen should have some goodies.

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

You might try to get in touch with Thomas Heinz. He has some unique images of the exterior, though I don't believe he ever got any interior shots.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

The Metropolitan Museum devoted an issue of its quarterly bulletin, very well-illustrated, to the house some time in the early 1980s, commemorating the room installation. Copies might be out there on the collectibles market.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Many thanks Meisolus! That video has the 1972 stills that I was recalling.

Meisolus

Post by Meisolus »

The Metropolitan Museum devoted an issue of its quarterly bulletin, very well-illustrated, to the house some time in the early 1980s, commemorating the room installation. Copies might be out there on the collectibles market.
I started searching for said collectible copy, and found a full pdf online! Very nicely illustrated as well.

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/metpublic ... fall_1982#

SDR

Post by SDR »

If you need larger images from the Met bulletin, I have them. Here are seventeen pictures, from five sources.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Image 6

Image 7

Image 8

Image 9

Image 10

Image 11

Image 12

Image 13

Image 14

Image 15

Image 16

Plan, 1, 2, 4, 13: © 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

3, 8, 9, 10: © 1987 A.D.A EDITA Tokyo Co., Ltd. and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

5, 6, 14: © 1982 by the Metropolitan Museum of Art

11, 15, 16: © 1979 by Edgar Tafel and McGraw-Hill, Inc.

12: © Yukio Futagawa

SDR

Post by SDR »

This video contains useful images. https://vimeo.com/137178989

I see the living-room chimney was rebuilt at some point. The fireplace was drawn as a see-through shared by the space next door -- which isn't labeled on
the plan. (Were dining and kitchen on the lower level ?) There are drawings of several fireplaces, in Monograph 3, including this one. Photographs do not
appear to show this feature as drawn.

SDR

Matt

Post by Matt »

So this is the house that was torn down? The living room now in the met? I'd never seen pictures of it whole before. Why was it torn down?

SDR

Post by SDR »

The video explains what happened.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

SDR, whether the fireplace was rebuilt or redesigned is a puzzle. It would seem logical for the fireplace to be shared by the so-called billiard room (which was actually used as the living room, the larger room being a music room), but there is no published photo of that untitled space to the left of what is designated as living room on the plan. A photo from the library toward that room in a pamphlet from the Met prior to the above-referenced booklet shows a couch facing that wall, suggesting that there was indeed a fireplace. My bet is that the one through fireplace was rebuilt as two separate ones. Notice that there is a door to the left of the music room fireplace which is not on the plan. Possibly, because that huge room with the 14' ceiling was hard to heat, the door and division of the fireplace was made necessary. I doubt FLW would have approved of that door.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

There were copious drawings made for this house from 1908 to 1913. In Mono 9/102-107 there are preliminary drawings showing that the kitchen was to have been in that untitled space next to the living/music room. This is also shown in Wendingen, page 91, which portrays a fireplace with a Roman arched opening, as well as FLW's intended 12' ceiling height (he was opposed to the 14' height Mary required for acoustics). The Wendingen drawing is refined, while the Mono prelim is very rough, indicating that the kitchen stayed put for some time, before eventually being relocated in the lower level below the guest bedroom. (See B&W photo and following color photo - which includes Mrs. Stephenson - above, of the south side as built. The doors lead to the dining room, which was never completed.) On page 90 of Wendingen, the section indicates that the kitchen has been moved.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Another factoid: As the pamphlet photo shows, there was no wood trim in the ceiling of the library. When rebuilding the library in Allentown, Edgar Tafel intuited that FLW had meant to add the molding, so he included it. He also deleted the five stacked radiators to the right of the doorway.