Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Huntington Hartford Site in Hollywood Hills to be Developed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Huntington Hartford Site in Hollywood Hills to be Developed? Reply with quote

Quite a different approach than what Wright was proposing for the Sports Club complex. Of course this is only one single family home. Glad to hear Lloyd's house will be left alone:

https://la.curbed.com/2018/4/6/17204312/runyon-canyon-mansion-park-lloyd-wright
DRN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first rendering gives the impression of two separate design languages: standard residential developer on the left, with modern earth sheltered concrete and butt joint glass to the right. Is this a single house with a split personality?
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old house, which is planned to be expanded by a modern addition, is the only private property (~5 acres) in the Runyon Canyon Park area, on the NW edge. The 160 acre park recently added 15 more acres which bring the park limits up to the private estate lot lines, almost encircling the place. South of the house is 50 acre Wattles Garden Park, part of which is adjacent to Runyon. In the hills west of this sprawling public land with its occasional private intrusions, all of which pre-date the park, is Trebek Open Space, which is publicly accessible, but is not park land. In all, there is close to 300 acres of land used by park-goers, especially hikers with dogs, that has never had anything to do with the private space in question.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story states that the existing residence is a Lloyd Wright design ?

(Hudge Hudy: "You're asking me ? I wasn't there . . .")

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is incorrect. There was a house by Lloyd for Hartford, which was not completed, and stood as a ruin for years. I'm not sure, but I believe it has been demolished since the property became a park. It was nowhere near the other house, which was not built on Hartford property.
Craig

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that pyramidal house in the rendering to the left of the proposed house the one designed by Lloyd? I believe it's pictured and listed in the monograph on Lloyd's work. Weintraub's information is confusing. He states Hartford gave 5 acres of the canyon to his associate George Headley who hired Wright Jr. to design his house. Confusingly it states that Hartford hired both Wrights to design a resort for the same (?) site. I haven't been up there in years but last time the house was still there.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to get this straight. I don't find a house for Hartford pictured in Weintraub's book. On p 260 is a photo of a 1950 Pool Pavilion,
2001 North Fuller Avenue, with a pyramidal roof; it is marked "not extant." On p 262 is an aerial rendering of the Galleries project, and this note:

"After nine years and six projects, only two of which were built, Wright's work for Hartford ended at Runyon Canyon, the site of the Outpost Club
(1946) and the Huntington Hartford Hotel (1947) -- two unrealized projects done in association with his father -- and a pool pavilion (1950) which was
built. Only after receiving a personal guarantee from Hartford did Wright agree to this commission for painting and sculpture galleries, which would be
open to the public. After a year Hartford abandoned this as well, writing, "the loss of time and effort and money has been as much mine as yours."
Hartford later hired Edward Durell Stone to build the Gallery of Modern Art (1965) in New York."

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The house for Hartford was what is called the pavilion. It was a small, desert concrete cottage, if you will, with a pool as shown. I don't find anything pyramidal or otherwise for a client named Headley. Where is it in the Lloyd Wright book?

Click on "Runyon Canyon Park" in the first line of text, then on "Runyon Canyon Park is now 15 acres larger" to find a map showing all three public parcels of land, Runyon, Wattles and Trebek, as well as the 15 acre addition to Runyon and the private parcel. The odd outline of it all is the result of the entire location having been private property before Hartford ever got into the area.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Weintraub Lloyd Wright monograph:

Craig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't find anything pyramidal or otherwise for a client named Headley. Where is it in the Lloyd Wright book

Page 142. Headley House, 1944. There are six contemporary photos and two elevations. It is very similar in appearance and materials to the Pool House posted above. I believe this is the structure which appears in the rendering of the proposed new house.

I last hiked the park in 2002 or so. The house was clearly visible from the trails. I assume it is still there.
Craig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angeles/3003-Runyon-Canyon-Rd-90046/home/7126775

This is the house I am talking about. Lloyd Wright for Huntington Hartford's business partner. Last sold 4 years ago.
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3003 Runyon Canyon Rd, Los Angeles, CA 90046

David
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Craig.

The house clearly didn't encourage photography, c. 1998. And it clearly differs from what's seen in the drawings; there is no evidence of the slanted cock's-comb chimney -- for one thing.

images © 1998 by Alan Weintraub
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some interesting exterior spaces, but the interior is prosaic, with or without appropriate furnishings. Looks like a design messed with by the client, perhaps to save some money.

(Books without an index get my goat!)
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. There is a table of contents in Weintraub's book; I missed the Headley listing (p 142; 1944), somehow . . .

We recall "Blazing Saddles" and Korman's Hedley Lamarr.

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: