Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

For sale: Aaron Green house in Soquel, CA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: For sale: Aaron Green house in Soquel, CA Reply with quote

999 North Rodeo Gulch Road Soquel, CA 95073

David
SREcklund

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: For sale: Aaron Green house in Soquel, CA Reply with quote

DavidC wrote:
999 North Rodeo Gulch Road Soquel, CA 95073

David

I wonder at what point in the negotiations the realtor is obligated to inform you that previous occupants were murdered in the house? Surprised

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.mercurynews.com/2009/08/18/soquel-mass-murderer-john-linley-frazier-found-dead-in-prison/
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gheeze
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This house was on a FLWBC Post-Conference tour in 2016. It was perfectly designed and detailed; its siting and views were incredible (the drive up to it was a thrilling switchback); it was in immaculate condition. A masterwork of Green.
Some pics from my visit (thanks to SDR for web hosting them):

Last edited by DRN on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Craig

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a horrible story. The stuff of nightmares. Not sure I could ever enjoy a quiet evening by that pool.

There's some sort of sad irony that the killer was motivated by environmental issues with a property owner who built a home with this much sensitivity to its surroundings.
SREcklund

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
What a horrible story. The stuff of nightmares. Not sure I could ever enjoy a quiet evening by that pool.

There's some sort of sad irony that the killer was motivated by environmental issues with a property owner who built a home with this much sensitivity to its surroundings.

Sensitive though it might be, my understanding is that the hilltop was leveled to create the build site, which irritated those living below - one, more than others ...

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's done is done. It seems to me the point of tragedy is to recover, to grow out of it and move on. While not seeking to diminish the grief of those
in recovery, I am disappointed to observe what seems to be a growing acceptance -- embrace ? -- of the idea that we can't do that. The mother of
an adult child was heard to declare, after a recent shooting, with apparent certainty that she "would never get over it," would never recover. That is so sad . . .

This beautiful house has an interesting characteristic: there is a very strong horizontal member running through the middle of the window band.
This seems to afford a novel enclosure of space, while also de-emphasizing the intersection of glass and material at top and bottom of the glazing.

In contrast, the verticals separated by glass, near the entry, are detailed in a way that really allows the grade to penetrate the glass plane. Delightful.

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that to believe there is something wrong with a piece of real estate because a murder, or some other sort of tragedy, has taken place in it would require belief in the supernatural, ghosts, hobgoblins, ghouls, the undead. Does anyone here believe any of those things haunts this lovely house? Why should it matter?
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henning's new Green monograph has nineteen excellent photos of the Ohta house, six of them full-page and none duplicating Dan's photos above.

There's also a large-scale plan, an elevation drawing and the architect's aerial view. Don't just stand there; get a copy. Now.

SDR
Rood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SREcklund wrote:
Craig wrote:

Sensitive though it might be, my understanding is that the hilltop was leveled to create the build site, which irritated those living below - one, more than others ...

Reminiscent of the Donahoe Triptych, where Mr. Wright, presented with a hill-top site previously leveled, chose to use the opportunity to design a house that put the top back on the hill.

In the late 60's (or early 70's) the Donahoe Family decided to build the three houses, as designed, and early one evening Mrs. Donahoe walked into the office at Taliesin West, clutching rolled-up construction plans, produced years before by Wes Peters. While waiting for Wes, we two unrolled the plans on the office floor ... and when Wes arrived he found the two of us on the floor, on our knees, poring over the plans.

Later, the Paradise Valley Board held a hearing to discuss the possibility of giving their approval to go ahead with construction. I attended the hearing, merely to hear what was being said. One man spoke up strongly against construction, saying he lived on the hillside below, and feared that a fully-loaded truck would tip over on its way up the hillside, and fall on his house.

A member of the Donhoe Family proposed a solution to that problem, but the PVBoard eventually nixed construction, once-and-for-all, so today the design remains only a missed opportunity

A few weeks later, to my surprise, the estwhile verbal opponent of the house walked into the office at Taliesin West, saying he had an appointment with Mrs. Wright. I could only call Minerva, who came down to take the gentleman to see Mrs. Wright. After a few minutes I called Minerva, asking her why the fellow wanted to see Mrs. Wright. I also told her about the statement the fellow made at the hearing. It turned out he was a member of the local Gurdjieff "group", and only wanted to talk to Mrs. Wright about their work.

However, after he left I was "blamed" for not informing Mrs. Wright about his opposition to construction of the Donahoe House before he arrived. What can a fellow do in such cases except shrug his shoulders.
Craig

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe in ghost, goblins, poltergeists or Fox and Friends. I neither dwell on death nor fear it particularly. I only know if I were sitting out by the pool where one by one members of an innocent family were brought out and murdered, each in there turn, it would certainly be a difficult image to shake as I sipped my chardonnay. But then again, there are always those who enjoy a picnic in a cemetery.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably the bodies were removed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: