Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Article: 'When Frank Lloyd Wright Designed a Bookstore'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Article: 'When Frank Lloyd Wright Designed a Bookstore' Reply with quote

When Frank Lloyd Wright Designed a Bookstore

David
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hanging light fixture at the Browne book store is another delightful example of the "suspended panel" type of shade. The first thing that comes to
mind in the fixture and table lamp perhaps designed by Mahony -- or Niedecken -- for the Irving house. But I believe there are other Wright projects
with such fixtures or lamps . . .

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLW designed a similar type of light for Unity Temple. Not exactly the same, but close enough.

Maybe when Meisolus and David have finished with Spaulding, they can start on Browne, an overlooked masterpiece. After that, there's the restaurant in Oak Park with an interior he designed ... long gone. And Pebbles and Balch Interiors. The list of lost and unbuilt work is seemingly endless.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's just within the (extra-neglected) sub-group of commercial commissions ?

The Steiner pages (The Wright Library) have been a boon in studying these projects, thought perhaps the built ones contain the most material -- furnishings, etc . . .

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those are more like open glass boxes than hanging planes -- but the effect is quite similar.

SDR
Meisolus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe when Meisolus and David have finished with Spaulding, they can start on Browne, an overlooked masterpiece.

It's funny you should say that Roderick. Just the other day, I ran across the Browne bookstore again and thought 'that would make a nice model'. I haven't discussed anything with David at all, but it's a possibility. The great advantage is it was actually completed and we know what it looked like - no guessing on trims and having drawings that don't match each other!
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To whet your appetites, here are descriptions from three sources, and the images presented in each:

Monograph 3; Partial elevation, sketch

Storrer, "Companion"; five photos, basic floor plan

Taschen I; three photos, full interior perspective

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browne also is covered in Ausge, pp 100, 103-7. There is also a single photo of the similar, yet even less well-known, W. Scott Thurber Art Gallery, located in the same building. A 3rd Fine Arts Building shop, the Mori Oriental Art Studio, is entirely lost (save a floor plan in Storrer).
Meisolus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Thurber Gallery, Douglas Steiner has several photos on his website.

http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Artifact%20Pages/PhRtS154furniture.htm
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of photos, there. Good examples of flat files with square knobs ?

The

Ausgefuhrte Bauten pages have good photos. The floor plan is the one Storrer copied for his book; he mentions the missing fireplace, which appears
at the end of the room furthest from the windows, in one of the photos. The Ausgefuhrte plan includes overhead deck structures apparently not realized . . .

SDR

Last edited by SDR on Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Meisolus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good examples of flat files with square knobs ?

Well said SDR! Looks like I'll be changing my knobs back to wood from metal.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure those knobs are wood ? The color matches -- but I'm thinking they're oil-rubbed bronze, or another finish. I see no wood grain or color variation, which would likely show if wood ?

SDR
Meisolus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like they look far too chunky in profile to be bronze. That would be a massive metal handle. I'll try and do a little further research before making the change.
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Frank Lloyd Wright Designed a Bookstore Reply with quote

Except for the regrettable mistakes on the author's part (Borthwick defined seemingly solely as a neighbor's wife as opposed to the wife of a client, & FLW staying in Europe for a few months), the article is a nice piece of research. And here we all were, lamenting the poor research from those in books & newspapers!
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, Meisolus. But a wood handle in that shape would be fragile; no matter which direction the grain runs, a portion of the piece is vulnerable to being split
off. I haven't seen handles like that anywhere, though I've made some myself that were somewhat larger and chunkier (remarkably easy, by the way).

These knobs are over a century old, and not one shows damage, even a chip. I'm happy to see these photos; the unconcealed drawer slide, a simple
hardwood rod, is interesting. Those are usually hidden behind the face frame; in this case, if the rod came out part way, the drawer could be opened "full
extension" -- though there really isn't a need in a flat file . . .

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: