Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Heloise Crista
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that bust of Wright when I visited T-West some years ago and really liked it. That someone found a voice as a sculptor after settling into the Fellowship indicates what a creative collective that was...and why many wouldn't ever want to leave.
Eve Lloyd Wright

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......Many didn't want to leave Taliesin and didn't......and stayed until the end of their lives....and many also did leave, for various reasons.

Now that the integrity, honor, beauty, peace and safety of all of our lives ---- in the U.S. and in much of the world ---- is in now what appears to be consistent and serious danger, the memory of those years at my first home and birthplace, Taliesin, has begun to seem as if it took place on a different planet.

The rampant vulgarity, rudeness, and indifference, and the violence that acompanies those manifestations; the incredible (and terrifying) tendency towards evil which U.S. and some aspects of "world" culture have fallen into, would be more than enough to cause FLLW to move his life as far away from all of that as possible ---- never to return.

He would not be able to recognize the current mask the country he was born in (as was his daughter, my mother; his granddaughter, me, his son-in-law, Wes Peters, and Brandoch Peters, Wes's son, as well as many of his friends, acquaintances and apprentices) wears now, nor why. I realize that the extraordinary existence we lived has not only vanished from the body of what poses now as Taliesin, but has also dissappeared from most of the culture and society of the United States, and much of the world.

Why?? How?? When did the levelling begin??

Who/what destroyed it?? Who is responsible for having sacked and burned our fine and, in some cases, marvelous lives?? Who/what bears responsibility for the destruction of our previous freedom and dignity ----- above all, the freedom from fear, poverty, anguish, defamation, public humiliation/mockery, and mortal danger?

My grandfather would not have been able to design any kind of dwelling for such a culture of violence, barbarity, burglary, massive and consistent violations of so many of our birthrights, most of all the dignity of the individual, which the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights were written to uphold and to protect; and the habit of killing innocent citizens of the U.S. or other countries.....because, well, you just don't like/or hate someone, or that someone gets in the way of certain plans you harbor with relish and passion, i.e., the grabbing of any territory, including cultural and artistic; greed, ambition, egocentrism, etc., .....or......just for the hell of it....!! After all, if human beings are that empty, if a void without limit subsumes them, then nothing can have much meaning for them, and so all becomes equally disposable ---- including human, and any other ..... life.

Genius does not spring from, nor can it function in such a toxic, horrendous atmosphere. It doesn't thrive within the iron claws of any form of oppression, tyranny and violation of the fundamental rights of every human being; those circumstances are fatal to its creative impulse and what makes it live, and what has always done so.

We are in deep deep ***, to put it in the lexicon most used and favored in this time of disintegration; if there is any hope, there is very little, as my grandfather once said, long ago.

Eve Lloyd Wright
peterm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you’re right. Your optimistic grandfather wouldn’t recognize the place and people he loved so dearly. He did warn us, though, didn’t he?
Eve Lloyd Wright

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.....he did. He was a kind of prophet, as many artists have been, throughout the ages.

He foresaw and warned against our current enslavement to an overreaching technology that has a lot of us in its grip --- vuluntarily and involuntarily ---from our addiction to "social media", and to the good and unique things that sometimes spring up from the depths of YouTube and other sites, the unvarnished news that directly contradicts the usual lies/falsity churning throughout much of the news media, or "msm", as well as the rampant violation of our privacy and basic dignity, re the abuse of the capacities of digital technology to spy on any and everyone it is directed towards...

As if the living of one's own life wasn't interesting and important enough.....grandfather's certainly was, as was grandmother's... both of them lived this life as a work of art in constant creation....and now, Man wreaks havoc with most of what they left behind, including, and maybe most terrible of all, their descendants: our rights, our property and possessions, our money, and, even, my own artistic work that came out of my own being, inspiration, talent and ability, and not my grandfathers'............!

Not all is equal, in this life, and certainly not interchangeable....

Eve Lloyd Wright
Reidy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you say about your grandfather foreseeing social media, YouTube and alternative news doesn't ring any bells, and I thought I had a fair familiarity with his public statements. Can you give us some citations?
Eve Lloyd Wright

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Reidy":

My grandfather warned, in his book "Genius and the Mobocracy", published in 1949, that mankind was on the way to a vertiginous fall, into the endless temptation which technology has always placed before him.

I don't have specific citations. The comments about YouTube are my own, and my interpretation of that warning, as it pertains to what is happening now. I think that the example/analogy that he gave was that of a vehicle which goes much faster than is safe, which accelerates beyond man's control, and then assumes its own power and velocity, thus becoming his master, and not the other way around. FLLW warned, in that book, of other developments in the life of "modern" man, which he felt were ominous.

"Genius and the Mobocracy" is out of print, I think, which is no surprise. With a title like that, and during a time in which what he called "the mobocracy" is fighting for as much cultural and other territory as it can get control of, including the legacy FLLW left behind, both cultural and artistic; personal and familial, that those involved in the grabbing game wouldn't be pleased to have to look at (or that anyone else look at, or be aware of) their own reflections in such a mirror, nor to read of a sharp intellectual rebellion on the part of an artist whose legacy the mob is still trying to absorb into its brutal framework and praxis, against the strange oppression/tyranny of just that "mobocracy", and its exclusionary, cruel and violent ways and means, that have been imposed mercilessly these past years: culturally, politically, socially, philosophically, spiritually and psychologically.

The mirror my grandfather held up to the society he was surrounded with, it often did not welcome or like, but never with more hostility, repudiation and almost complete lack of understanding, than in this century.

Eve Lloyd Wright
Matt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing a lot of research in this area for a book on a mid-century architect. A lot of the decline of our quality of life stems from economic changes. The US isn't the manufacturing powerhouse it was in the post-war years. Other nations have caught up. Corporations feel no national loyalty and are fine with shipping jobs overseas. And we are becoming a nation of dense cities. That results in a lot of crummy dense architecture.

Form follows profit.
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Form follows profit, indeed.

An architect can design all he or she wants but, in the end needs a client and their budget to build. Architecture, as opposed to building, results when the client and architect work together to synthesize function, art, and economics to create a lasting and meaningful place for future generations. Wright routinely created works of this caliber. They were real and had substance.

Today, much of what we see in our landscapes, particularly commercial ones, are constructs that are built to cost just enough to meet the budget, and to last about 20 to 25 years, when the use or ownership will likely change anyway. There is no sense of permanence or leaving something for the future...it is all about the next quarter.
Eve Lloyd Wright

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true...I agree with both of you (two most recent posts); a sense of permanence requires a different way of life, and a vastly different one than the sham that has been passing for "a way of life", during the past 20 or so years....

The way of life at the original Taliesin, and before the Fellowship existed, was built upon a structure of family relationships, which then extended out to encompass the Fellowship when it was formed. You should read my grandmother's book, if you haven't already: in it she describes the substance and strength of those relationships, and how important they were, as well as a lot of other things.

In a shallow, highly disturbed, and perilously insecure world and life, How can mankind build anything of worth and beauty? He is a slave and a prisoner of his own epic rootlessness, and the devastating effect that it has upon anyone who is tossed into those depths, as so many of us have been....

Eve Lloyd Wright
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: