Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Westhope damaged by strong winds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZacharyMatthews

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Westhope damaged by strong winds Reply with quote

Tulsa OK 9:45AM Friday Feb 16.

Strong overnight winds picked up the foam and TPO membrane covering the walkway to the garage.
Some structural damage was evident.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Zachary. Did you take the photo ? Can you describe the damage that was observed ?

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the house remain uninhabited?
ZacharyMatthews

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, I did take the photo. I drove by Westhope yesterday at 4:45 and noticed a slight lifting of the membrane and guttering. I tried some photos but the sun was directly in my lens making it a washout, I made it a point to drive by this morning to get that damage noted. When i came up the street i gasped!

What you see is mainly foam board and rubber roof membrane that has lifted and flipped over in to the interior courtyard. The rest of the house had no damage to the roofing. This walkway faces due north so it bears the brunt of strong winds.

Last edited by ZacharyMatthews on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZacharyMatthews

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod,
Westhope's owner lives full time in Hawaii but does have a local who looks after the house. Unfortunately that steward does not live on site.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned structural damage; I wondered if blocks were moved or cracked, for instance . . .

SDR
ZacharyMatthews

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
You mentioned structural damage; I wondered if blocks were moved or cracked, for instance . . .

SDR

This was the only damaged block I saw, looks like rebar flexed in place and caused cracking. Directly above this area is the heaved roofing.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Zachary. That's what I was fearing. The construction and its finishes in the immediate area mostly look well-maintained; how long ago was the house restored ?

I was horrified to learn, finally, what damage the Hanna (Honeycomb) house sustained in the last good-sized earthquake, way back in 1989. Displaced brick was found at the base of the main central masonry mass, at the fireplace. One shudders . . .

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westhope wasn't really restored. It was fixed up, to be sure, with A/C added, but the outdoor terrace, west of the indoor terrace, was enclosed, the handsome cabinetry separating the dining room from the billiard room was removed, making the dining area fit for a banquet. The entire structure, inside and out, was painted, turning it from concrete gray to a pale beige. The main rooms have also been carpeted in an even paler beige. Most, if not all, of that was done before the current owner's day.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin Eli Weil was in charge of determining the extent of the damage to Hanna after the quake. He wrote an extensive article about it for JTF.
ZacharyMatthews

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick Grant wrote:
Westhope wasn't really restored. It was fixed up, to be sure, with A/C added, but the outdoor terrace, west of the indoor terrace, was enclosed.

On a closer look of the 1980 enclosure of the terrace, no recast blocks were used. They did the job with wood framing and exterior plywood, playground sand was added to the exterior paint to give it a block look. Now that is weathering away and water rot has begun along the fascia.
John

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Owners Reply with quote

As "Westhope" has an absentee owner I wonder how many other Wright homes are similar.
I surmise that it's near one third and even perhaps one half!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: