Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Laurent House, Rockford, IL 2/4/2018 Photo tour.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Laurent House, Rockford, IL 2/4/2018 Photo tour. Reply with quote

https://www.trystcraft.com/single-post/2018/02/02/Touring-the-Laurent-House-in-Rockford-IL-Frank-Lloyd-Wrights-Little-Gem

[/img]
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, https://www.trystcraft.com/single-post/2018/02/02/Touring-the-Laurent-House-in-Rockford-IL-Frank-Lloyd-Wrights-Little-Gem is my new
favorite blog -- base solely on the wealth of new imagery seen here. We all think we know the Laurent house from existing photos, those of us who
haven't been there, that is. And here we see a bunch of new images, sharp and sweet photos in unadulterated color, of details of the house --
reminding us of how much there is to see in a Wright Usonian: endless unique detail.

The third and fifth photos show perhaps the least convincing part of this house (based again on impressions gained from plan drawings and the
existing photos). But look at all the goodies: everything from the floating carport roof to the shelves projecting, in front of a corner window, from the
strange outward-canted wall battens we find in some early-fifties Usonians, to the cozy all-brick fireplace nook. Amazing kitchen, bath, and bedrooms, a
Ling Po screen, and a surely unique exterior pole lamp ?

SDR
SREcklund

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been their twice, each time in a pouring rain. Nice to see how much nicer it lights on a beautiful day.

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, be aware that the original carport was filled in to accommodate a new bedroom, and the existing carport was added perpendicular to the house, all by Jack Howe.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the bottom of the page are several photographs, including a few of the Pettit Mortuary Chapel, which was discussed recently. It would be nice to see interiors.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah -- thank you.

Something missing in Wright studies is the consistent availability of plans showing additions post-Wright. Storrer shows additions at will, though not I believe those designed by others. The Laurent house is shown as built.

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan R kindly sent along two photos he took when visiting the Laurent house last spring.

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the addition of the dining room may make sense functionally, it is an unfortunate intrusion architecturally. The new bedroom and carport are well-integrated into the scheme.
thills

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad to hear the new photos are appreciated. We were very lucky to visit during a break in the clouds for some much needed sunshine.

Roderick Grant - I agree that the way the new/enlarged dining area bumps out goes against the overall scheme. I wonder if another curved/arcing room could have been employed instead?

However I did find it very strange that the original built in sofa (banquette) originally continued all the way along the wall with the northernmost end looking directly in to the workspace.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine a new dining-room back wall as an extension of the new carport wall -- a single diagonal line in plan. There are many ways in which such a
pairing could work, and a number of questions: Daylighting ? Visual communication between carport and dining room, if any, and between dining space
and rear garden -- among others. A continuous roof, or one with a clerestory or skylight ?

Still, better Jack Howe than any later hand, in terms of "authenticity," I suppose.

Speaking of surprises, I noted that the plan with additions is made to look just like a pre-1959 Taliesin sheet, with Wright as architect, red square, and Howe's
name not evident.

SDR
outside in

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The additions to the Laurent House were designed initially by Wright in 1959, but finished by Howe after Wright's passing. The LH Foundation has copies of the preliminary plans.

Howe also did extensive work on the existing cabinetry when the additions were built. Many traditional "door" type cabinets were switched to "hopper" type (hinge on the bottom of the panel) for added convenience for Ken.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: