Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

For sale: Neutra's Loring House - Hollywood Hills, CA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: For sale: Neutra's Loring House - Hollywood Hills, CA Reply with quote

2456 Astral Drive, Los Angeles

David
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a handsome, though rather uneventful, Neutra house. Excellent location, buffered by Runyon and Wattles Parks.

(Why do realtors slather their ads with simpering Muzak?)
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suave, serene, and exciting (to me), all at once. Startlingly up-to-date -- Neutra an ongoing inspiration to today's residential architects ? This one's a beauty . . .

Here Neutra brings his signature L-shaped outrigger structure indoors, at two fireplaces which are constructed of terra-cotta tile (which only fights a little
with a random-slate floor). And that broad metal roof fascia, remarkably un-wrinkled, is either brand new or is the unblemished original.

Neutra has a unique feel for the indoor-outdoor meme; even without frameless glazing the garden outside the bedroom becomes an extension of the interior
space, and vice versa.

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has been stripped of much of the plywood details which warm up Neutra houses. I always enjoy his bathrooms and kitchens, all of which have been radically altered.

But the signature walls of glass and spider legs are there, and it’s still wonderful.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Peter. More wood would warm the place up considerably. The bathroom looks bleak.

Do you think the pool is original? I don't.

Ehrlich's guest house is very handsome.
DavidC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Inside the Mid-Century-Modern Home Architect Richard Neutra Built for Choreographer Eugene Loring

David
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wall-mounted shelf unit placed at an awkward height to the left of the main fireplace -- perhaps the answer to the unasked question, "Where is the
fireplace mantel ?" -- with its disappointing V-shaped backboard performing an obvious mounting function -- can't be Neutra's work.

I'd be interested to know where in this house the architect might have used plywood. Was that a universal attribute of these houses ? Did he not
occasionally do an all-white (and silver) number ? I can imagine the doors in contrasting material, another Neutra move. The kitchen cabinets aren't his
but would look good in some modernist settings. Is Escher GuneWardena a respected practitioner in LA ? I've heard the name . . .

Anyway, I love those fireplaces.

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bathroom remodels are ok, especially for a minimalist Manhattan apartment, but the originals would have shown more humility and warmth, with wood vanity and cabinetry. The area to the left of the fireplace is probably missing it’s original built in bookcases. The kitchen cabinets are fussier than the simple originals.

Why can’t people (architects!) leave well enough alone?

Last edited by peterm on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. The masters have what it takes to get their designs built as designed. But, even they aren't omnipotent; later owners and/or their architects
could do right by the work, or not. And, as with so many other aspects of the relationship, it can be difficult for the outsider to know whom to blame.

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a lot of outriggers in Neutra's work, but this is the only time I have seen it used to support a fireplace. Nice.

The argument in favor of plywood is the absence of it here, leaving the entire opus cold and forlorn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: