Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Regional modernism

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Regional modernism Reply with quote

Perhaps a new heading for Wright-era and Wright-influenced residential work is in order. Here's a Curbed page that includes ten names possibly worthy of notice -- including ready-made favorites Goff, Dow, the Dombars and Roger Lee.

The subject house by John S Chase carries a roof which might indicate a familiarity with East-coast architect Ulrich Franzen . . . if not with far-off master Le Corbusier.

https://www.curbed.com/2017/8/14/16136054/john-chase-midcentury-modern-architect-texas

Don't miss the link to the ten architects, early in the story. Only one house by each, but a starting point for further study . . . ?

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four of the architects noted, O'Neal Ford, Arthur T. Brown, Vladimir Ossipoff and Paul Hayden Kirk, are of especial interest.

I went to school with the daughter-in-law of Winston and Elizabeth (nee Scheu) Close. Take a look at the 8/25/2017 issue of Curbed for a photo of the Internationalist design of their own house in Minneapolis. Elizabeth was daughter of Gustav Scheu, who built a house by Adolph Loos.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I become more impressed by Curbed as time goes on. These pages a full of useful and interesting references. I did come across Wright's name, somewhere in the mix; I'll have to go back and find that.

One thing is missing: identification of place. What state are we in, I find myself asking repeatedly.

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: