Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

eBay: Taliesin Fellowship dance program from 1953

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: eBay: Taliesin Fellowship dance program from 1953 Reply with quote

Frank Lloyd Wright - Dance Program - Goodman Theatre November 3, 1953

David
RonMcCrea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things strike me: 1. Olgivanna Lloyd Wright's name does not appear in the program, although she is the moving force. FLLW does the introduction himself. 2. "Polly Lockhart" became Frances Nemtin.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exotic attracts; ancient wisdom and "higher knowledge" separate an elite from the masses, providing a focal point for interest and creating an audience.
Impenetrable terminology, the Ennegram, and Laws of Three and Seven (or is it eight ?) confound, and thus support the image of Mystery.

That said, the performance, including its music, would be interesting to witness. Were such performances ever filmed ?

Contrary to my expectation, the majority of dancers were men. I count seven women among the 26 performers.

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two other eBay offerings on the same page: a Centennial of Spring Green, with cover illustration by Gene Masselink (1957), and "Heritage: the LLoyd Jones family" (1986). I have recorded the contents of the respective Web pages . . .

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Spring Green Centennial booklet, a photo not previously seen, I believe: from the same session that produced the "cigarette and big grin" shot, in this one Mr Wright is not looking directly into the lens . . .

. . .

Last edited by SDR on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
DRN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Goodman Theater program is from the infamous "Movements" demonstration that Curtis Besinger noted in his book as being a "proxy war" between Frank and Olgivanna: Frank's drafting room staff vs. Olgivanna's Movements set. The Goodman show was being prepped just as the 60 Years of Living Architecture exhibition and house was being constructed in NYC.

Last edited by DRN on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the event which John Geiger, who was working on the Guggenheim model house, flatly refused to have anything to do with, while Curtis Besinger caved.

One can only speculate about what the "Sacred Camel Dervishes" consisted of. I wonder if L. Ron Hubbard was a fan of Gurdjieff and Olga?
owenCollins

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:

That said, the performance, including its music, would be interesting to witness. Were such performances ever filmed ?

Contrary to my expectation, the majority of dancers were men. I count seven women among the 26 performers.

SDR

All the music was transcribed by Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer, which I think they have some in the archives I think. I saw some of the recorded performances when visits Taliesin West. But the surviving recordings are predominately Iovanna's choreography.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my T-West visit in '62, dinner was served in the theater, after which was a performance by Io and several other women in exotic garb, consisting largely of moving about and striking poses ... a trick performers who cannot dance often do to convince the audience they can.

(I recall a performance by Lauren Bacall in the Broadway musical "Applause," based on "All About Eve." Bacall couldn't dance, so 3 or 4 muscular men hauled her around the stage while she smiled and posed. She was not a small woman. The last time I saw Chita Rivera, one of the greatest dancers in Broadway history, she was relying on the same shtick. Eventually the gams give out.)
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite TV ad, from a few seasons ago . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XILGtlWErFg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: