Ferris Bueller House, Anyone? Ferris Bueller House, Anyone?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tim

Ferris Bueller House, Anyone? Ferris Bueller House, Anyone?

Post by Tim »

I was in the area and drove by ...

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 869#photo7

It is being renovated ...

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017060 ... ne-ferrari

As best I could tell, the new lower level area (garage, play space) is built (walls, ceiling). There was a construction van in the way so I couldn't see how far the construction inside the lower level area has progressed. The main house itself was covered in plastic sheets. The glass "garage" seemed to be used as storage (view from street/ bridge). Overall, it is an exciting project. It's great to see the house get a 2nd take. In terms of massing and how the new lower level will fit in, my sense is that it will work well. The whole thing is quite clever.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Does anyone know ... Was the demolished garage (street side) original to the house?

Tim

Post by Tim »

Actually, the second link shows a photo of the original facade ... no garage!

Who knew ... Reading actually helps

SDR

Post by SDR »

Well -- it will be nice to see this one reborn, and closer to its original appearance than when it was in the movie, to boot.

" . . . an in-floor hot water radiator system" would be the generic description of Wright's "gravity heat" . . . I guess ?

SDR

Tim

Post by Tim »

https://www.facebook.com/bhms.arch/

Progress photos and building plans

Tim

Post by Tim »

I drove by last week.

The windows and siding were covered. It looks like the steel structure was being painted.

The garage and general reconstruction seemed to be far along/ maybe complete.

The site is a mess (normal construction mess), and it was raining all week. So I assume final grading hasn't been completed.

Overall, once the grading and landscape are complete, the new garage will disappear. In fact, it will probably prove to be a clever solution.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Tim, I appreciate the news. Let us know when it's time for the first street (or bridge) views ? I do Host-and-Post hereabouts, when needed . . .

SDR

Tim

Post by Tim »

https://www.facebook.com/bhms.arch/

More recent progress photos

Tim

Post by Tim »

Drove past house.

Looks like rough grading done, but not fine grading (hard to tell).

Landscaping not done.

Driveway and garage look to be complete.

Some exterior work still open (finishing work, not construction).

Seems like they are living in the house. Ex (1) Kids toy house was in the front yard. (2) The back of the house seems to have furniture in it (dining room table).

That's about all I could tell from driving by and not behaving like a stalker.

Overall, the house looks good. The driveway should mostly recede. Nice to see it get new life.