Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Taliesin West Master Plan
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Taliesin West Master Plan Reply with quote

Found this link to Harboe Architects Taliesin West Preservation Master Plan in the foundation newsletter "Whirling Arrow"...
all 700+ pages, including what must be every TW sketch and drawing from the archives. Serious nerd overload.

http://franklloydwright.org/preservation/

Would be nice if the same interest was considered for Taliesin. When Taliesin Preservation was first established, their site was heavy into restoration efforts. The master plan, historic survey, as built documentation, etc, were all supposed to be put on line...never happened. I stopped asking about it years ago. Current restoration updates are decent summaries, but not the level of detail the site originally appeared interested in offering.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While looking at the Taliesin bedrooms, I came across photos of the T West bedroom of Mr Wright. The same recessed and cozy sleeping corner is found there that we see at Taliesin (North).

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appendix B / Historical Drawings are incredible.
From the Avery Archives: many design sketches from Wright.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just where is that found, Tom ?

S
JChoate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally, I ran across that same PDF on the web last week. I got engrossed and burned up about 3 hours of office time looking thru it.
Not having visited (yet) I was surprised to see how many latter day buildings had been added on, much in not-to-lovely fashion. Those areas typically don't show up on google searches or in books, so it was interesting to see all those nitty gritty snapshots of those less significant places. It is clear when the Master's hand was absent. Harboe's done a good job of classifying significance of the various areas. Hopefully correct restorations (and deletions ?) may be made according to those implied priorities.

In the appendix with the historical drawings (lots of them) it's evident that much was done from FLW"s loose & rough drawings. Unlike the Fallingwater legend/myth, he obviously didn't envision it all in his head but rather picked up a pencil and sketched things to work them out.

Among that group of drawings was a badly weathered rendering of the memorial garden (envisioned by who?) presumaby to contain the ashes of FLW & OLW after his remains had been snatched back from Wisconsin. Rather than being incorporated into an existing wall, it appears to be out in the landscape somewhere, detached from other buildings:

JChoate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding FLW's bedroom at TWest: according to the masterplan document there was a periof of time when the sleeping quarters had been reconfigured for different uses. Then, recently they were restored to the condition when FLW used it as his bedroom. Having done that, I'm surprised to see the generic, prosaic, store-bought desk floating in the middle of the room (at a random angle in one image). It seems waaay out of place. Was that really the way he had it in his day?
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
Just where is that found, Tom ?

S

At the very end of the Master Plan PDF: it's like a vein of gold.
The first drawing of the water tower with spire is my fave so far.
Wright loved to draw.

(JChoate: re desk at angle in bedroom. I felt the same. No way he put that desk in there like that. It's nuts. And it grates!)
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... and big sketches too.
I think I'm seeing building sections at 3" = 1'-0"
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that funny little desk -- presumably used by Wright ? -- is placed at precisely 60º to the nearest wall ?

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jim Thompson renderings of the Office, at the very end of the Appendix, are delicious.

Can anybody identify the interior area photographed at the head of the report -- angled wood overhead, masonry, glass ? John Lautner, eat your heart out !

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
Maybe that funny little desk -- presumably used by Wright ? -- is placed at precisely 60º to the nearest wall ?

SDR

I thought T West only had 45 degree angles?... Is there a 60 somewhere?
yellowcat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The indentations seen in the carpet beneath the desk seem to indicate that the desk was recently moved from about 45 degrees to more of a 60 degree angle.
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Among that group of drawings was a badly weathered rendering of the memorial garden (envisioned by who?) presumaby to contain the ashes of FLW & OLW after his remains had been snatched back from Wisconsin. Rather than being incorporated into an existing wall, it appears to be out in the landscape somewhere, detached from other buildings:

OK, I'll bite.
Iovanna called the Lloyd Jones cemetery doleful... this is pathetic. A green deciduous tree baking amid some hardscape and low wall/benches in the middle of the desert? I get the Tea Circle reference, but this is not Wisco, this is a desert....loosely spreading his ashes (oh by the way, FLLW did not choose to be cremated) at the base of a saguaro or an ocotillo would have been more respectful to his beloved Nature.
I sincerely hope this was not the final resting place of FLLW.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I thought T West only had 45 degree angles?... Is there a 60 somewhere?"

Good point. And the FLLW/OLLW Memorial is surrounded by a semicircular wall or seat; are there circles in plan at T West ?

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both placement of the desk and the cruddy desk itself are regrettable. I suspect Olga's hand in that. But more interesting is the design of the twin beds with the panel separating them. Obviously Frank and Olga never shared a bed, but this looks a bit aggressive. I wonder which one slept facing the room, and which one slept facing the wall?

There may not be any 60 degree plan elements, but there are 60 and 120 degrees in elevation all over the place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: