Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

For sale: FLW Jr.'s Novarro House - Los Angeles, CA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: For sale: FLW Jr.'s Novarro House - Los Angeles, CA Reply with quote

Frank Lloyd Wright Jr.'s Celebrity Magnet For Sale

David
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is certainly one of Lloyd's masterpieces, but it needs a lot of restoration in the interior.
Craig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The house as designed for Samuel featured numerous built-ins, casework and continuation of the copper arrow motif throughout. Very romantic, 1920s work in line with Lloyd's own home and the Sowden house.

When Navarro took possession, Lloyd returned and basically gutted all the original styling, expanded and "modernized" the house in a more typically "streamlined" 1930s fashion. All the heavy wood furniture went out and Warren McArther aluminum furniture was brought in.

I believe it was Diane Keaton who then hired Josh Schweitzer to completely strip the place down to the bare bones and add the cartoonish green built-ins. The interior, once so rich with warmth and detail, appears so dreary to me. I agree with whoever said the current interiors look straight out of a prison.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, what is your source for Lloyd's remodeling of the interiors for Navarro?
Craig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of an Architectural Record article on the Samuel house written by Pauline Schindler which shows the original facade and three interior photos with the Wright-designed furnishings.

I also have an article from Architectural Digest showing the place after Novarro took possession, also with interior shots showing a much simplified interior and loads of tubular furniture. The article states that Wright was called in to make changes for Novarro.

There is also a drawing showing Wright's exterior changes, including the addition of the pergola to the left and cutting in the huge window to the left of the garage. This was originally a solid, windowless wall.
Craig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can send some scans to SDR to post if someone PM's me with his email.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to. My email is found at the bottom of my posts.

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig provides these images of the Samuel-Novarro house.

From "an Architectural Record article on the Samuel house written by Pauline Schindler which shows the original facade and three interior photos with the Wright-designed furnishings":

. . . and from "an article from Architectural Digest showing the place after Novarro took possession, also with interior shots showing a much simplified interior and loads of tubular furniture. The article states that Wright was called in to make changes for Novarro."

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As so often happens, the original design of Samuel-Novarro is superior to the altered version ... even the windows interrupting that large blank space are no improvement.

As wonderful as the remodeled Coonley living room fa├žade is, I still prefer the original design. Sondern made Adler larger, but not more interesting. Architects are well advised to leave well enough alone. At least with Hanna, the alterations were planned from the start, and did no harm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: