Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Frank LINCOLN Wright
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found on Ancestry a passport from 1922 where he lists his middle name as 'Lloyd' - but, gives his birthdate as June 8th, 1864.

His 1918 passport lists the birth year as 1867.

David

Last edited by DavidC on Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I have asked just about everybody who ever knew FLW whose path I have crossed. No one close to him, including Eric, had ever heard of the Lincoln thing before Gill.
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more info via Ancestry:

- the 1870 and 1880 censuses only list his first name

- he applied for Social Security as 'Frank Lloyd Wright'

David
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know the name of the local church his parents attended when he was born?

David
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Lincoln Reply with quote

Thank you, Roderick. I thought that Gill came up with it, then looked at Secrest & she states it, so I was like, "Damn!" Because I trust her before Gill.

Oh, let me amend that: I trust her WAAAAAY before Gill.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always held Ada Louise Huxtable in high esteem, until her little bio of FLW, where she does the same.
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Lincoln Reply with quote

Maybe it's just become part of the "truth" that people say. Just like "everyone" "knows" that Miriam Noel was a morphine addict because Secrest wrote that there were some signs pointing toward that.

Or that Carlton "sealed all of the doors at Taliesin" & murdered people as they ran out, I guess, 1 door during the 1914 murders (even though this contradicts what the survivors mostly said).

Or that Phillip Johnson said, about Wright, "I thought he was dead!" when they were talking about coming up with the Internaional Architecture show. Actually, Johnson later said he never stated that, but I haven't researched that enough.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Architects-Frank-Lloyd-Wright-ebook/dp/B077P6VPWB/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1515692062&sr=1-6&keywords=William+Marlin
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humphrey Bogart never says "Play it again, Sam."

Last edited by Roderick Grant on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course not. His character never wants to hear that tune again. It's Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman) who says "Play it, Sam" . . .

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Play it once, Sam, for old-time sake."
Rood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The year 1967 was my first full summer at Taliesin, and the great event of that summer was Mr. Wright's birthday celebration, held on 8 June in the (cleared and decorated) draughting room at Hillside.

At one point that evening, Mrs. Wright rose and said a few words, among which was her announcement that according to recent research Mr. Wright was born not in the year 1869, as everyone had supposed, but in 1867.

1967 is a long time ago, now, but my memory suggests that the "research" was done by writer and historian Robert C. Twombly.

N.B. Oh, and DavidC ... Twombly lists the church as the "Richland Center Baptist Society". Mr. Wright's father had been traveling to the town to conduct services, according to Twombly, but he moved his family to Richland Center in May of 1867, just one month before Mr. Wright's birth.
RonMcCrea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the idea that Wright added "Lloyd" to his name as a teenager, after his father left, to indicate he was placing his allegiance with his Welsh grandfather's clan?
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rood wrote:
... Twombly lists the church as the "Richland Center Baptist Society". Mr. Wright's father had been traveling to the town to conduct services, according to Twombly, but he moved his family to Richland Center in May of 1867, just one month before Mr. Wright's birth.

Thanks, Rood. I wonder if any of the historical records of the congregation survive anywhere?

To partially answer my above question, I just found this: Records and Histories of the Wisconsin Churches (specifically, 'Free Will Baptist Churches'). Where, if you scroll down about 3/4 of the way, it lists "Richland Center (Richland Co.)........(YEARS) 1867-1877........(CONGREGANTS)12-35........(QM)Sauk County.

I have contacted the Wisconsin Freewill Baptist Historical Society to see if they might be able to help in this matter.

David
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Correct birth year Reply with quote

I'd tried to reply to the question on where the correct birth year info comes from, but accidentally put it into another entry. The title of that is "Correct birth year".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: