Frank LINCOLN Wright

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I just found on Ancestry a passport from 1922 where he lists his middle name as 'Lloyd' - but, gives his birthdate as June 8th, 1864.

His 1918 passport lists the birth year as 1867.

David
Last edited by DavidC on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Peter, I have asked just about everybody who ever knew FLW whose path I have crossed. No one close to him, including Eric, had ever heard of the Lincoln thing before Gill.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Some more info via Ancestry:

- the 1870 and 1880 censuses only list his first name

- he applied for Social Security as 'Frank Lloyd Wright'

David

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Anyone know the name of the local church his parents attended when he was born?

David

SpringGreen

Lincoln

Post by SpringGreen »

Thank you, Roderick. I thought that Gill came up with it, then looked at Secrest & she states it, so I was like, "Damn!" Because I trust her before Gill.

Oh, let me amend that: I trust her WAAAAAY before Gill.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I have always held Ada Louise Huxtable in high esteem, until her little bio of FLW, where she does the same.

SpringGreen

Lincoln

Post by SpringGreen »

Maybe it's just become part of the "truth" that people say. Just like "everyone" "knows" that Miriam Noel was a morphine addict because Secrest wrote that there were some signs pointing toward that.

Or that Carlton "sealed all of the doors at Taliesin" & murdered people as they ran out, I guess, 1 door during the 1914 murders (even though this contradicts what the survivors mostly said).

Or that Phillip Johnson said, about Wright, "I thought he was dead!" when they were talking about coming up with the Internaional Architecture show. Actually, Johnson later said he never stated that, but I haven't researched that enough.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Humphrey Bogart never says "Play it again, Sam."
Last edited by Roderick Grant on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Of course not. His character never wants to hear that tune again. It's Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman) who says "Play it, Sam" . . .

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

"Play it once, Sam, for old-time sake."

Rood

Post by Rood »

The year 1967 was my first full summer at Taliesin, and the great event of that summer was Mr. Wright's birthday celebration, held on 8 June in the (cleared and decorated) draughting room at Hillside.

At one point that evening, Mrs. Wright rose and said a few words, among which was her announcement that according to recent research Mr. Wright was born not in the year 1869, as everyone had supposed, but in 1867.

1967 is a long time ago, now, but my memory suggests that the "research" was done by writer and historian Robert C. Twombly.

N.B. Oh, and DavidC ... Twombly lists the church as the "Richland Center Baptist Society". Mr. Wright's father had been traveling to the town to conduct services, according to Twombly, but he moved his family to Richland Center in May of 1867, just one month before Mr. Wright's birth.

RonMcCrea

Post by RonMcCrea »

What about the idea that Wright added "Lloyd" to his name as a teenager, after his father left, to indicate he was placing his allegiance with his Welsh grandfather's clan?

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Rood wrote:... Twombly lists the church as the "Richland Center Baptist Society". Mr. Wright's father had been traveling to the town to conduct services, according to Twombly, but he moved his family to Richland Center in May of 1867, just one month before Mr. Wright's birth.
Thanks, Rood. I wonder if any of the historical records of the congregation survive anywhere?

To partially answer my above question, I just found this: Records and Histories of the Wisconsin Churches (specifically, 'Free Will Baptist Churches'). Where, if you scroll down about 3/4 of the way, it lists "Richland Center (Richland Co.)........(YEARS) 1867-1877........(CONGREGANTS)12-35........(QM)Sauk County.

I have contacted the Wisconsin Freewill Baptist Historical Society to see if they might be able to help in this matter.

David

SpringGreen

Correct birth year

Post by SpringGreen »

I'd tried to reply to the question on where the correct birth year info comes from, but accidentally put it into another entry. The title of that is "Correct birth year".