Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Arthur Dyson house

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly Johnston

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Arthur Dyson house Reply with quote

Here's the Rietz residence, a Minnesota house with many angles by apprentice Arthur Dyson. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Owatonna-MN-55060/106829415_zpid/
Matt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something that's never quit fit for me....the use of stucco or dry-wall in a Usonian house. I'm so accustomed to that limited pallet of masonry, glass, and wood...that the introduction of drywall on the wall or ceilings just rubs me the wrong way.
Kelly Johnston

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fay Jones sometimes used Homasote board on ceilings as an alternative to stucco/drywall.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. Homasote has a texture on each face, one slightly different from the other. I imagine he painted it ?

Looking at the Larry Brink house on another thread here, I notice that the architect sheetrocked all vertical interior surfaces, and even some horizontal ones (the "tray" window, for instance). I wonder what the effect would have been if some of those surfaces had been clear-finished or stained plywood . . .

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2000, when the FLWBC met in Minneapolis, I tried to get the bus trip to Owatonna (to see the Sullivan Bank) to include a trip to Rietz, but apparently they couldn't arrange it. I think it's a fascinating design; the exterior is architectural jazz.
vortrex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
That's interesting. Homasote has a texture on each face, one slightly different from the other. I imagine he painted it ?

Looking at the Larry Brink house on another thread here, I notice that the architect sheetrocked all vertical interior surfaces, and even some horizontal ones (the "tray" window, for instance). I wonder what the effect would have been if some of those surfaces had been clear-finished or stained plywood . . .

SDR

I've often thought of subtracting some of the drywall in my house. The large wall in the LR and the tray window portion were my first targets. The large wall in the LR has been freshly drywalled since I spray foamed it. I thought about topping it with something like lauan. The drywall is all gone from the tray window area now so when that gets rebuilt plywood is an option there. I do not like drywall.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex, I think you should proceed cautiously with that plan. The interior seems to be an essay in folded plates, for which the drywall is a perfect material. Photograph the interiors and photo-shop them with what you are considering before you leap into the breach.
Kelly Johnston

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Fay Jones painted the Homasote board. He covered joints between adjacent panels with wooden battens to his design advantage.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an inexpensive and unprepossessing material, made of newsprint and paraffin. It has little stiffness, so it would need to be nailed at close intervals. It makes a good sacrificial floor cover in the workshop, for slab floors.

SDR
goffmachine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The handrail is stunning. Surprised
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. One imagines a spectacular water show, in a downpour . . .

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: