Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer: 1930-2017

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Randolph C. Henning

Post by Randolph C. Henning »

SREcklund - ". . his new book on OLW . . " has been out several months.

Bruce was one of a kind. His dedication and commitment to the legacy of everything Frank Lloyd Wright is without equal.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

Randolph C. Henning wrote:SREcklund - ". . his new book on OLW . . " has been out several months.

Bruce was one of a kind. His dedication and commitment to the legacy of everything Frank Lloyd Wright is without equal.
And I found it sitting on a shelf in my library, waiting for me to read it. Sometimes, the typing fingers work faster than the brain ... :-)
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I haven't read the book, but I doubt BBP put anything in print that would sully Olga's reputation. I never heard him say anything remotely critical of her ... and there was, according to numerous sources, a lot to criticize.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Others may know more details than I, but my understanding is that Howe started the archives and was largely pushed out by Olgivanna after Wright's death. BBF was her acolyte, now perhaps he was that out of necessity. There are a lot of spots in the Getty collection of drawings and letter copies that were withheld by BBF. My understanding is that he would edit or set aside any letter that reflected Wright's biases or prejudices. I have no idea if such materials really do exist or if they were included in the archive given to MOMA and the Avery.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Subjects of history are always at the mercy of their historians.

Pfeiffer and OW had an interdependent relationship, surely. I'd be pleased to know that theirs was not a troubled coexistence.

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Work on the archive began in the 40s with Jack Howe and Johnny Hill getting it off the ground. BBP took over shortly after arriving at Taliesin. Howe was not booted out until 1964. This according to Geiger.

Robert Sweeney had a close relationship with BBP, who shared some letters that no one else (other than possibly Kathryn Smith) has ever seen.

BBP became a public person late in life. When I first met him, he was incredibly shy, skittish, and would never consider speaking in public. Then, suddenly, he overcame whatever trepidations he had, and became one of the principal voices of Taliesin, especially in Olga's latter days, as she went blind and deaf.

Considering how completely BBP was devoted to the program, I have no trouble believing that he would keep any negative material from going public, perhaps, though not probably, to the extent of destroying evidence.