Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Wright Travel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petertohen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Wright Travel Reply with quote

Stan Ecklund has inspired me to take a trip to Bachman-Wilson House at Crystal Bridges Art Museum in Bentonville, Arkansas and the Price Tower in Bartlesville, Oklahoma.
Because I have to one-up Stan, I'm going during less-friendly weather. My trip starts December 2nd when I land in St. Louis then head north to the Dana-Thomas House Christmas Reception in Springfield before heading back to Kraus in St. Louis, on to Bentonville, Bartlesville, Wichita (for Corbin Center and Harry-Lambe House), Kansas City for services at the Community Christian Church and then home.
I'm really not writing to to brag (much) but because I'll be bouncing pretty close to some awesome cities with other great architecture. besides the E.Fay Jones chapels in NW Arkansas, any other places I should see?
http://www.safeharbors.com/WrightTravel/
SREcklund

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you're certainly starting your planning a lot earlier than I do! I'll let more experienced voices make their recommendations on side trips, but the only thing I'd advise is, due to the potential weather of a December trip, make sure that the places you're heading don't have seasonal restrictions. You'd hate to roll up to a site only to find it's closed for the winter.

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To see privately owned houses, sending a request well ahead of time, along with a stamped self-addressed return envelope for reply, often yields good results. When I wrote to Gillen in the '80s, I simply addressed "Current Owner," and said in my note, "I don't know who you are, but..." Mr. and Mrs. Guerin were incredibly gracious and accommodating. While in Bartlesville, try to see Price, Jr. and some Goff houses in the area, as well as WWP's theater next to Price Tower. If you get into southern Illinois, Goff's Duncan House would be well worth the effort. Though a bit far afield, Hughes House in Jackson, MS would be a treat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: