Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Architectural Forum magazine drawing of Taliesin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh-heh. Maybe that was just overflow storage . . . ? Cool

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring Green, when was the entrance moved to its current location and the access to the lower level moved to where the original entrance was in the loggia?
Rood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpringGreen wrote:

To answer some questions asked on the previous pages:

Rood:

And, yes, Rood: the area in the back of the Studio (where you used to sit) was changed following the Tea Circle Oak tree fall in 1998. We worked to remove those things added after FLW's death.

JChoate: Oh, & the Sullivan piece: that was from the Garrick Theater, which was in the Schiller Building. Didn't arrive at Taliesin until after that building was destroyed in the early 1960s.

And, JChoate: the 2 doors next to the vault door do lead down to the back of a living space. No one lives there now. I was told that Gene Masselink lived there for a while.

So that's when the cabinets built against the north wall in the area back of the Studio were replaced by the book shelves that exist now?

The "living space" was at one time Cornelia's room?

And ... do you know if the Sullivan ornamental pieces from the Schiller Building, the ones built into a wall inside the pool terrace, survived the destruction of Mrs. Wright's pool ... the pool at Taliesin?
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick asked:
Quote:
Spring Green, when was the entrance moved to its current location and the access to the lower level moved to where the original entrance was in the loggia?
Today's formal front door? Curtis Besinger talked about it being moved in 1943. He discusses this change in p. 147 of Working With Mr. Wright. 1943 is also apparently when the steps were built down to what is known now as "The Guest Wing".

Rood:
Quote:
So that's when the cabinets built against the north wall in the area back of the Studio were replaced by the book shelves that exist now?
Yes. We used photographs taken in 1957 by Richard Vesey, staff photographer for the WI State Journal to get the basic format of the design. Then we used the physical evidence in the floors to figure out where the posts had been under the cabinets & looked at evidence in the walls to figure out where the shelves had been, because we had like 3 photos of the area by Vesey.

Quote:
The "living space" was at one time Cornelia's room?
I'm not sure which living space you're thinking of. She lived in the original cow barn at the house, in the Middle Court. She returned every year until 2010 I think, but she always got sick every year (dampness) so Indira kept her in the dry AZ air the last couple of years.

Quote:
And ... do you know if the Sullivan ornamental pieces from the Schiller Building, the ones built into a wall inside the pool terrace, survived the destruction of Mrs. Wright's pool ... the pool at Taliesin?
Yes: they were kept in Midway when I first started working here. Now they're in NYC. I don't know where since paper items (drawings, photos, correspondence) are supposed to be at The Avery & models are at MoMA. But where's terra cotta? And other things that don't fit into neat categories? For instance: what about Wright's eyeglasses?
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".
Rood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SpringGreen"]

Rood:[quote]

Quote:
The "living space" was at one time Cornelia's room? I'm not sure which living space you're thinking of. She lived in the original cow barn at the house, in the Middle Court. She returned every year until 2010 I think, but she always got sick every year (dampness) so Indira kept her in the dry AZ air the last couple of years.

Yes, but one year Cornelia moved to the room under the Studio office ... the one under under the big cantilevered balcony, that forms the car shelter. I know because one summer we watched a series of Leonardo da Vinci television specials there ... in her room. It must have been in the mid-70's. The room is adjacent to the open stairway leading up to the Studio.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Virginia Kazor and I visited Taliesin in 1995, Cornelia showed us her new apartment opening onto the covered space between the car court and midway, entrance on the south side.
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: living space Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, but one year Cornelia moved to the room under the Studio office ... the one under under the big cantilevered balcony, that forms the car shelter. I know because one summer we watched a series of Leonardo da Vinci television specials there ... in her room. It must have been in the mid-70's. The room is adjacent to the open stairway leading up to the Studio.
I hadn't known that Cornelia had ever lived there. We've been trying to rename this apartment the Masselink Apartment, because Gene lived there for years. Gene was likely the longest lived occupant of that apartment in Wright's lifetime. I don't think he was living there in 1959 for the same reason it's not lived in today: way too damp. It would be nice to fix that up but the dampness is an impediment (plus the lack of sunlight - it only gets sun, I'd think, early in the morning).
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Cornelia's living space Reply with quote

Roderick: Cornelia lived in that apartment at Taliesin the entire time I knew her (I wonder who lived there before). Joe Fabris lived in that space the last few years of his life. Once Joe made the decision to spend the rest of his life in WI, he moved to the space Cornelia brought you to (what I know as "Cornelia's apartment"). While living there, he could go over to the old Wes Peters apartment because Wes's living room/bedroom is now occupied by Minerva Montooth (Charles's widow). Minerva has a dog & of course Joe loved dogs.

Previous to that, Joe had lived in what was supposed to have been an old tool shed, near where Tom & Effi Casey lived (not that far from Tan-y-Deri). That space is now lived in during the summer by Jason Silverman, former apprentice & now the Residence Life Manager at the school.

All these people & places at Taliesin: that's why I'm happy the rooms at the Taliesin structure were all numbered over 25 years ago. I can just write, "Rm. 59" instead of "Minerva's Montooth's living room, which before that it was Sarah Logue's living room, before that Bill & Sarah Logue's living room, before that Johnny Hill's summer living room, and before that Wes Peters's living room."

The room you described that Cornelia showed you & Virginia is room 69.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring Green, what is a "Residence Life Manager"?

Room 69. That reminds me of an anecdote (which is patently untrue) that in the 60s, when Zip Codes were being handed out, Marilyn Monroe convinced President Kennedy to assign 90069 to West Hollywood.
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Residence Life Manager Reply with quote

I don't really know, but you always go to Jason to find out where everyone is, where they've gone, when they're coming back, & what trips are being made. He also corrals everyone as they prep for the Taliesin Formals (now just held once a month). I am sure there are other things he does, kind of like a Human Resources Manager.

hadn't heard the Monroe rumor.
JChoate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 've only ever seen the lower level and upper level plans of the main residence wing. I wish we could see a floor plan of the lower and upper levels of Taliesin, either current or as originally designed. Does anyone know an accessible source for such plan drawings?

Presumably the lower level "Masselink Apartment is this one. It looks like a nice spot.

The treatment of the corner window echoes the hinged corner door upstairs. I wonder if that lower level window is similarly hinged to open.

JChoate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of the date of this older photo in the WI Historic Society's archive, but the cars probably suggest the date to the auto aficionados among us. Presumably, Masselink would've been in residence in the lower level apartment then

SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably Wright's '56 MB 300C on the right; the center car reminds me of a '55 Plymouth but I don't think that's it -- and the car on the left I can't see well enough to know which way it's pointing. Dan ?

S
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the rings in the masonry so one can hitch horse.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look like a '55 Plymouth. The car in the background looks like the back end of an early 50s GM car, Olds, Buick or Cadillac.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: