Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Architectural Forum magazine drawing of Taliesin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JChoate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we're circling around the old vault, here are some other photos of the areas around the vault location. There are lots of design detail calories there. Unfortunately, the sun was in exactly the wrong place for the purposes of taking photos, but here's a look back into the Masselink space that shows a sliver of the vault door. Across the passageway is a very cool corner door that leads to a discreet back exit out of the studio wing.

Here's a view thru the glass at the exit stair leading down to the visitor parking area.

SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And -- what's with the cloth covering at the top of those flat files ? Notice what appears to be an operable horizontal panel, made to match the surrounding fabric ? What's being covered or concealed ?

Something useful but unattractive -- a phonograph, maybe ?

SDR
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love these shots.
I for one would be happy to see as many as you are willing to post.
Michael Shuck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Another view of the safe Reply with quote

[img][url=https://flic.kr/p/23gLNQB]
[/img]

This has a bit more of the safe shown. I took this on Independence Day weekend of 2016.
Michael Shuck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Masselink Office Reply with quote

[/img][url=https://flic.kr/p/23ebbMA]

There is a little less glare here. I took this photo on the 2016 Independence Day weekend tour.
Michael Shuck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: View of Masselink Chair and Fireplace Reply with quote

[img]Taliesin Masselink Office Chair and Fireplace Shuck 7_2017 by Mike Shuck, on Flickr[/img]
JChoate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay Michael -- much better photos. Now we can see.
In the first photo look at what appears to be a pair of double doors. The left leaf has a baseboard with shoe mould so it looks like the door is more of cabinetry slightly raised off the floor. The right leaf has no she mould so perhaps it is a full height doorway -- that would agree with the floor plan drawing which showed a small storage cabinet on the left and a downward stairway to the right.
In the second photo we see well the funky corner door, looking very much like an old British phone booth.
The third photo gives us a tantalizing view into that private study with the comfortable chair beside the fireplace. Cozy. And I just now noticed the facial features carved into the wooden bowl up on the light shelf.

SDR, I'm not sure I understand what you are seeing in the cloth covering on the old flat files. Here's more of a close up of it. (Note that the color of the wood floor changes in the Study:

SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, James. What I chose to see as an opening is in fact just a dark line in the fabric pattern. Well, there's enough mystery -- like those doors next to the vault safe -- without making up new ones ! Guess I'm ready to do docent duty . . .

SDR
JChoate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the two current day photos again that SDR previously offered with these links:
https://na.rdcpix.com/1678647411/e72de8ed6bf2f9f741ba3185740752adw-c0xd-w685_h860_q80.jpg
http://visualnews-wp-media-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/08160000/taliesin-frank-lloyd-wright-2.jpg

In a small 1991 Taschen book "Frank Lloyd Wright" by BBP is a black & white photo showing the studio. I can't figure out its date. It's got the Call Bldg model but not the big FLW desk. The old timey drafting tables are set up. I would be tempted to think maybe it was from an old timey era, except there is a Usonian style chair beside the fireplace. There is a pork pie hat, overcoat, and cane draped on the furniture in a staged fashion. To the left is an "L" shaped built-in seat at the fireplace, which is consistent with the original floor plan. In the face vertical soffit beyond the sitting area is a visible duplex power outlet. In the distance we see an angled panel displaying drawings of some kind. It's hard to tell much about the flooring because it is dark but also shiny in the glare.

In the current day photos, we see the "L" shaped built-in seating modified to just a single leg, opening the view to the fireplace from the larger room. Perhaps that was done when the big FLW desk was installed, giving Wright an unobscured view of the fireplace. The current floor appears light & bright. Regarding the power outlet location, we now see it strategically masked by a decorative bronze bowl.

In the current day photo we see a white panel on the wall at the far end of the space. It is a fragment of Louis Sullivan ornament. (From where I don't know):

SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a uniquely wide-angled photo of this expansive room -- one of the more exquisite barns in the world ? -- which I guess is Wright's personal workspace in the last decades of his career. The multiple peepholes to the sky are probably more important in the flesh than in a photo.

SDR
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote my question about a number for The Architectural Forum magazine drawing, then went to visit people for Christmas so I hadn't looked at the updates here on the Wrightchat. Well, I guess we won't know if the drawing ever had a number. The folks at the Avery Library didn't know, either. The person I communicated with said that the original drawing probably went to Architectural Forum.

To answer some questions asked on the previous pages:

The Forum drawing is Taliesin III, right around the time they were preparing for the Forum magazine issue. So, 1937, since it was published in Jan. 1938.

As for some of your discussions, back on p. 1 of this thread, the two floor plans are shown (2501.060 & 2501.059). 2501.060, the one in color (it's got 3 digits now after the period), was drawn c. 1943. The date on it comes from its architectural details. And 2501.059, the b&w version of the drawing, is the blueprint of 2501.060. For years I saw the b&w photo of it, assuming parts were "messed" with, as SDR states. But what you're seeing as white in the b&w photo is actually the writing of colored pencils. When I 1st saw it at the Archives (when they were at Taliesin West), fortunately I was alone b/c the first thing I did was go, "Holy sh*t - it's in COLOR!" I'd never thought of that. So all the scratches are color pencil marks - green, yellow, red.... Pretty extensive.

Rood: thanks so much for your information about the Archives/archives building & where drawings were kept before the later building. I was communicating with Indira Berndtson via e-mail the other day & she mentioned "Bekins". I had no idea what she was talking about!

And, yes, Rood: the area in the back of the Studio (where you used to sit) was changed following the Tea Circle Oak tree fall in 1998. We worked to remove those things added after FLW's death.

JChoate: the b&w photo was taken by Ezra Stoller in 1945 in the photo shoot he did for an issue of Fortune magazine that was published in Aug. 1946. I don't know how often Wright kept desks in his studio, but they also appeared in a photo from 1947 that was taken by Pedro Guerrero (that was in Picturing Wright, p. 75). Oh, & the Sullivan piece: that was from the Garrick Theater, which was in the Schiller Building. Didn't arrive at Taliesin until after that building was destroyed in the early 1960s.

And, JChoate: the 2 doors next to the vault door do lead down to the back of a living space. No one lives there now. I was told that Gene Masselink lived there for a while.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Spring Green. Now, have you any notion about why Mr Wright would have shaded -- quickly -- various areas of the plan, in contrasting colors ? Was he perhaps contemplating a drawing or other graphic, perhaps for the magazine, that would show the reader the different uses of parts of the building -- work versus residence, etc ?

It's clear to me, from close study of the two drawings shown together on page one of the thread, that one is a print of the other, the print presumably being the one with added notes and with the shading that you saw. Yet you saw a colored drawing ? Perhaps the only color on it was the shading you observed ? And the negative image we see is a photostat of the drawing you looked at ?

SDR
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't see a colored drawing: 2501.059 is the blueprint of 2501.060. I exclaimed about it being color first because, well, I wasn't expecting a blueprint, AND because colored pencils were used to color certain things in the blueprint drawing.

They (Wright and/or his apprentices) took colored pencils onto it to draw in things. I looked at it one afternoon, but I figured that the different pencil colors were indicating different things. Like, definitely, the work next to the Garden Room was green, indicating where they had put, or were going to put, foliage.

He must have done some work on the blueprint because there were things that are in his handwriting.

I'm not sure which "parts of the plan in contrasting colors" you were thinking of.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the green, yellow, and red you spoke of. So, this negative image is a blueprint.; the dawn breaks on Marblehead. Thanks for the explications; most interesting !

For those doubting that it (or its original, rather) is not a tracing of the other sheet, the clincher is the mending tape running in a line just below Mr Wright's terrace, which can be seen in both images.

SDR
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: mending tape Reply with quote

Oh, good: glad what I wrote makes sense.

Yes, it seems they used a lot of mending tape on drawings. Of course, they weren't always working with super-carefulness to keep drawings as long as possible.

Rudolph Schindler took a few photographs in Wright's Taliesin drafting studio when he was there in 1918 & 1920. There's one photo looking toward the chimney in the room with a pile of drawings in the firebox. When I realized what I was seeing I thought, "Huh... there are, like, $3 million worth of drawings in there."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: