Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Article: 1953 Exhibition House - NYC, NY
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Article: 1953 Exhibition House - NYC, NY Reply with quote

(scroll down to #3):

5 Priceless Historical Items That Turned Up In Random Places

David
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wright in “Cracked”... the cheap knockoff of Mad magazine. Step aside Howard Stern, FLlW is the king of all media.
Unbrook

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Usonian Exhibition House Reply with quote

What is the current status of the Usonian Exhibition House?
DavidC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'LOST' FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT HOUSE IS FOUND

And after, from what I understand, Tom Monaghan had hired David Henken and given him the full go-ahead on the reconstruction of the 1953 Exhibition House - using whatever was left of it and adding in the rest. But Henken passed away unexpectedly shortly thereafter.

David
Unbrook

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Usonian Exhibition House Reply with quote

That is basically what I had heard. So I wonder whatever happened to it? It is a very elegant design. The Feinman house in Canton, Ohio is a variation of that original--so the design does exist.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1984 NY Times piece in which Paul Goldberger handily sums up events concerning the house, to that date. The rest of the story will be found
elsewhere, I assume. Needless to say, the house was never reconstructed. $300,000 for a two-bedroom house, in 1984, would be a stretch in most
markets ?

Here I learn that both Mamaroneck and Harrison, NY, were potential sites for earlier attempts at reconstruction. One town away, further northeast, lies Rye,
home of the Max Hoffman residence. Too bad there wasn't a corner of Mr Hoffman's plot on which the Usonian Exhibition House might have been erected
-- perhaps as a guest quarters ?

Unbrook

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Hoffman House Reply with quote

The Hoffman House is that close to the water? I never imagined it that way.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. It's at the north-east end of a small peninsula. Google 54 Island Drive, Rye, NY 10580

I suppose the house could have been built in place of the wing, at right in the aerial views, that was added to the Hoffman residence. But that addition was designed, by TAA, in 1972, so it was already in place
when the Usonian house came to auction in 1984.

So, what became of the remains of the exhibition house, post 1984 ?

SDR
Education Professor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As SDR noted, it would be interesting to learn what became of the post-1984 remains of the exhibition house.

Is the 1953 souvenir publication the best source of information for the Usonian Exhibition House?

http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Books/sixty.htm#1953Front

http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Artifact%20Pages/PhRtS398ny.htm

I vaguely remember seeing a photo of the large kitchen window in some publication. I assume the ceiling height of the kitchen is the same as the living room:

12' in the Exhibition house; 10' 9" in Trier; ? in Feiman.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a hard time finding a ceiling height for the exhibition house. Monograph 8 contains the two Exhibition Pavilions of 1953 (New York and Los Angeles) and mentions the house but does not illustrate it. Storrer shows the house and specifies its 4' square module, but does not specify other dimensions. The Monograph and Storrer show the Feiman house; the section drawing in the Mono is too small to accurately measure.

Where do we learn that the Exhibition House has a 12' ceiling ?

Storrer does continue the story of the auction of the house remains: "The house was purchased at a second auction [sic] from WNET in New York by Tom Monaghan for $117,500. A third auction sold the parts for $7850."

SDR
Matt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tale of the lost house takes on legendary proportions, but I've never seen any real hard documentation on it. No photos. No inventory of the parts.

Geiger, who supervised much of that exhibition construction, told me that the living room clerestory was made taller late in the game. Wright apparently wanted those inside to see the high-rises outside...and perhaps also wanted the house to have a more impressive height amidst taller buildings.

It's one of my fav designs. Someone should rebuild it.
Education Professor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ceiling heights for the Exhibition house and Trier are mentioned on this webpage (see captions for photos 2 & 3):

http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Artifact%20Pages/PhRtS398ny.htm

I have yet to find any mention of the ceiling height for Feiman. It is unusual that the Exhibition workspace doesn't appear to be have its own unique ceiling height/roof profile as is typical of many Usonian workspace 'boxes'. This seems to be true of the Trier workspace as well:

http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Artifact%20Pages/PhRtS398.htm

The lost Exhibition house has indeed achieved legendary status. It is such a simple yet refined design.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I guess it's good that we have the Feiman house as its clone, on the ground ? By the way, when did we last hear about that house ? Is it any closer to being properly restored ?

I'm not puzzled that the Exhibition House has no roof higher than that of the main space: that roof is tall enough already. And, Wright is nothing if not a breaker of his own rules . . . !

Pfeiffer writes, of the Feiman house, "The living room is unusually tall, the clerestory windows likewise are larger than appear in most Usonian houses. But the elegance of this new sense of scale was so successful in the New York house that Mr Wright went on to use it in other houses that followed."

He'd already played with tall living rooms numerous times; the Rebhuhn house, Skytop, even the Storer house and Residence A come to mind. How many tall rooms followed Feiman ?

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Exhibition living room was 12' high, that would make the fireplace bricks 4.5". Is that a reasonable size?

"Skytop"? There is "Suntop" and there is "Skyview" (Jackson), both with tall windows, but no Skytop that I know about.
pmahoney

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Usonian Exhibition House Reply with quote

In 1992 Architect Leonard Wisniewski purchased the remaining 5000 pounds of fragments of the house at public auction
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: