James (Jimmie) Thompson & James Thomson

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
jon buschke

James (Jimmie) Thompson & James Thomson

Post by jon buschke »

Hello, I am looking for any information on two former apprentices from the late 1930. James (Jimmie) Thompson who provided a color film in 1939 for the London Wright lectures series given on 4-evenings and James Thomson friend of the Dombar brothers. Both were at Taliesin about the same time. Thomson worked on the Jacobs ll house with Dombar. Thompson was there for only one year. Wright mentions him several times in "An Organic Architecture" 1939. Both are about the same age born 1912-2914. I am trying to locate their dates and where they came from to complete a list of birth and death dates for each apprentice.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

James Thomson was at Taliesin from 1934 to 1939. No other information is available in the Directory. There is no James Thompson in the Directory. It is not unusual for the name Thom(p)son to be spelled both ways; I suspect the two are one with variant spellings.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

John Geiger's apprentice list has:

- James Thompson arriving at Taliesin on October 1st, 1937

- James Thomson arriving at Taliesin on October 1st, 1937

David

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

And, here's a picture from 1937 of Wright w/ various apprentices, including James Thomson.

He's also mentioned in the book "Building With Frank Lloyd Wright", by Herbert Jacobs.

David

Rood

Post by Rood »

Though I never knew Thompson, personally, I projected one of his early colour films of Taliesin West many times.

John deKoven Hill told me that after leaving Taliesin, Thompson worked for a time as an importer ... Johnny later heard that one day Thompson went for a walk in the jungle (don't recall exactly, but it was in either Thailand or Malaya), and that he never returned.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The only fault that I find with the Wright Library is that the size of images is limited: clicking on an image magically reduces it (by linking to a catalog page) rather than enlarging it ! The point of Steiner's pages seems to be "here's what's in my collection" -- and quite a collection it is . . .

SDR

Randolph C. Henning

Post by Randolph C. Henning »

There was a Donald Thompson and wife Mary (both from Cleveland) who were in the Fellowship from November 1934 until sometime in the summer of 1935. Donald wrote at least three known At Taliesin columns and Mary wrote one.