Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Project Eppstein Has Been Completed!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishigan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Project Eppstein Has Been Completed! Reply with quote

On December 7th, 2017 there will be a final update to the blog and it will include lots and lots of details and lots and lots of photos.
Today the Eppstein restoration was completed and now it is time to do a final cleaning.
It was a fantastic thing to be able to see in person as this project took place. This home was once on the verge of being beyond repair and was certainly in the worst condition of all 8 of the Frank Lloyd Wright homes in Kalamazoo County. But now, it has risen up from the ashes of The Acres to being one of the best Frank Lloyd Wright homes in Kalamazoo County, Michigan.
I am talking to the owners about coordinating an open house. I will let you all know if it will in fact take place.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news, fishigan. I look forward to seeing more. Perhaps, now that we're back online, this would be a good time for you to remind us of your blog URL ?

Happy Holidays, all !

Stephen
fishigan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to the blog with 2 new updates. One covering the red oak bench.
http://projecteppstein.blogspot.com
JimM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interior block restoration is extraordinary. Major positive affect on common questionable aesthetics of concrete block interiors. Think resale, continued interest in restoration, etc...
fishigan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is a link to the blog with the photos. This will be taken down tomorrow maybe sunday. I am not happy with this blog post and need to revamp it and add more information. I am very pressed for time but since you have all been so gracious for my posting about one home for the last 3 years I feel that you should get to see the finished photos of the interior first.
My wife and I have been very fortunate to have become friends with Tony and Marika and we were able to enjoy the finished home and good conversation with them last night while drinking wine and iced tea. The home is so comfortable, warm and inviting. It is very serene.
I hope you enjoy the photos and I do apologize for doing a rush post.
http://projecteppstein.blogspot.com
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, fishigan !

Wonderful supply of new photos, which blow up nicely and advance using the mouse scroll wheel. The pictures explain, finally, the main interior space of this house. I hadn't expected the level change, or the many details like built-in seating with handy shelf behind, etc etc.

The tilt-up of a portion of the living-room ceiling seems more modest and intimate that similar ones in other Usonians of this period ?

The owners have an interesting and appropriate furniture collection. Love those glass lamps at the sofa, too. Don't rush away with these photos too soon !

This wonderful restoration wants further exposure. Perhaps you are in a position to help with that ? A selection of photos might be provided to a publication . . .

SDR
outside in

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, I can't get over the air conditioners - there are certainly other ways to do this, considering they took the place apart.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see it properly furnished. Much improved over the colonial stuff in it when I visited in '85.
fishigan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for further publications they have been contacted by several people lately. A couple did articles while it was for sale and now they are doing follow ups.
As for the a/c - heating units.... that is function. The owners did a very good job of having them custom painted from the factory to match the stain of the wall. Something that was not easy to get done but they were able to get the manufacturer to do it. They are whisper quiet when they are running. Which is amazing. They want people to be comfortable when the stay there as well as themselves. I think it may have been something FLW would have done at the time had a/c been as common as it is today.
There is so much wood that was replaced it would blow your mind. And when you walk thru you could not tell anyone what was original and what wasn't. They used mahogany plywood where it was supposed to be used and the carpenter rebuilt the bathroom vanity from scratch.... and if you look close at the old photos of the original... you might be able to tell they are not the same. He is that good. The access panel for the master bath shower was supposed to have a painting hung to hide it. He did such a good job at making the access panel that they opted to leave it exposed.
When I have about 4 hours to work on the blog post I will provide the info for everything that was done, what they found to be the hardest thing, what surprises they came across and so on. I will also do some before and after photos as side by side comparisons. It probably will not cover a dollar amount though. That is for them to say and not for me to disclose.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article:
https://www.mansionglobal.com/articles/82641-preserving-a-historic-home-takes-patience-and-reverence

AIRBNB:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/16024637?location=galesburg%2C%20mi&s=XeLE911g
thills

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I photographed the Eppstein house for Marika and Tony last week for use in their AirBnb listing. Some of my favorite photos are included in a blog post I wrote here:

https://www.trystcraft.com/single-post/2017/12/11/Frank-Lloyd-Wrights-Eppstein-House-is-Ready-for-Guests
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ! Thanks for the peek. The house really glows . . .

SDR
fishigan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for taking such great photos of the home.
thills

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Fishigan - it was a treat! Thank YOU for documenting the saga on your excellent blog. I followed the progress for a long time.

P.S. thanks for your email, I sent you a reply.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The novel pattern to the tiled bathroom floor, of which I was critical, turns out to be a quite minor event in the greater scheme of things. And it's nice to see the pattern continue into the shower. There is, I guess, an echo of the patterned concrete block, too . . .

I'd be scared silly to let strangers occupy my unique and priceless home, using my furnishings and effects. But, I'm so glad that others are willing to do so. Does that make me a bad person ? Embarassed

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: