Recently Sold Milton Stricker house

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
jay

Recently Sold Milton Stricker house

Post by jay »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes it is. There's an awful lot of perfect-looking parquet flooring; could it be new ?

I'm betting that there was an L-shaped continuous seat in the alcove, under the light shelf...

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

First time on the market built in 1970. I think the parquet is original. What a fine house on a spectacular site.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Milton was one of the apprentices who "got it." This is a very fine house.

I agree with SDR about the flooring, but if there had been a built-in banquette, the wall below the top of it would likely not have been finished in a way that would have made removal look so seamless. I can imagine that Milton intended to have a banquette in that cozy corner, but suspect the original client demurred.

jay

Post by jay »

The sweeping panoramic view reminds me of line of Gaston Bachelard's: “The house conquers its share of sky. It has the entire sky for its terrace.�

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes---there is no evidence of any remodeling in the living-room alcove. The condition of the house speaks for itself. I'd kill for that downstair workshop !

The house is ideally situated: Vashon Island is a premier location, and this property is about as close as one could hope to be, to the ferries on and off the island.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The only downside is that it is not a very large house (2 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1580 sf) and might be sold for the lot only, as a teardown! That would be tragic.

peterm

Post by peterm »

You guys might be right about the parquet being newer. The more I look at the photos, the more it becomes apparent that the golden oak tone clashes with the wood paneling. And then there’s the issue of the tiny, busy module. But it’s not a slab, so what would the flooring have been? 1970- wall to wall carpeting?

SDR

Post by SDR »

I could see it carpeted...

Geez, a tear-down would be tragic. I would kill for that house, all things considered. The shop would change my life.

A young couple I know lived on Vashon for a while, and loved it.

So, it's sold ?

S

jay

Post by jay »

Yes, it's sold. Hence the subject line of this thread :)

For all the Stricker houses and apartments I've viewed, carpet and hardwood seem to be his chosen floorings. On only one occasion have I seen the red slab floor, which is at the "Taylor" house, the one Ray Brandes built near his Wright-designed home in Sammamish.

Here's another Stricker house that has some close similarities to the house in discussion. You can easily imagine the same carpeting:

https://www.livingonbainbridgeisland.co ... h-6-offers

SDR

Post by SDR »

Remarkable similarities, despite being 20 years younger. Not Wright, but not wrong either...!

(Another of those odd sites, which assumes in this case that everyone knows where Kitsap County is located.)

Is there a monograph ? Mr Stricker deserves wider coverage. "Let Henning do it" is the new cry.

S

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Stricker did write a book of his own philosophy. I think it is available in PDF format somewhere.

Tom

Post by Tom »

lastchancesugarco

Post by lastchancesugarco »

On the Kingston house, the catslide roof at the corner is quite interesting. (See the very center of the first image.)

Mr. Stricker's website is simple but, has some wonderful drawings.

http://www.miltonstricker.com/

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

There you go. And what a terrific renderer.