Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Mrs Clinton Walker house, "Cabin on the Rocks"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Mrs Clinton Walker house, "Cabin on the Rocks" Reply with quote

Well, that's what it's called in Taschen, Vol III, p 183. Here is a section drawing published in Monograph 7, p 266.

Floor plans are hard to come by. I'm not sure we've seen a plan showing the bedroom addition.

Taschen III

Monograph 7

2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

1988 A.D.A EDITA Tokyo Co., Ltd. and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

Plan published in Global Interiors 10 and in Storrer's "Frank Lloyd Wright Companion"

Last edited by SDR on Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the four living-room columns made of triangle-section cast iron (!), with their "growy" adornment of metal pyramids ? One drawing labels the columns "steel" . . .

photo Alan Weintraub

A structural plan would show the columns, with their cast "sockets" pinned at the tops, are attached only at 60 welded miter joints (?) in the wide-flange
steel plate circling the living room, bolted to it on the inboard side of the flange. A few construction photos would be a priceless addition to the discussion.

The architect would have seen that this hoop of heavy steel, tied at each end to solid masonry and supported at intermediate points along its length, could
carry almost any amount of roof without distortion or complaint. Rather than being opened to the sea side of the terrace, the living room is a sort of
aquarium--in-reverse, keeping the water out and enclosing a bubble of indoor atmosphere.

SDR
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great!

...wow - triangular column sections.

wonder if something like that is going on at Niels. I know that the vertical steel columns inside the wood window wall at Samara in Lafayette are 'T' sections.

"...aquarium in reverse.." that's good.

and you know that SOMEWHERE there are construction photos.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've included a third plan drawing, above, also apparently from Taliesin. The first and the third plans are virtually identical in room layout; the second plan shows a different bath arrangement, and it includes the row of fin-like diagonal boards standing outside the gallery.

I don't seem much in common between Neils and Walker, though there may be structural steel within the Neils mullions. The trick at Walker would be in fabrication: getting those four canted columns placed and braced at exactly the right locations for the concrete pour . . .

SDR
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder how those glass vents are supposed to be operated?

Glass wall calls up House on the Mesa.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Mr Wright imagine that the columns would be sand-cast, complete with lugs ? The section through the triangular column seems to show a wall thickness. Perhaps they were made tubular, assembled from flat steel stock ?
I don't see a sectional dimension; scaling the drawing suggests that the altitude of the triangle is 2" . . .

SDR
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder too, how the glass is held by the steel?
DRN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are good pics of the living room:

http://68.media.tumblr.com/6ed3225da46b6f97537dbba473b0e9b5/tumblr_nytx429B5p1twhq1io5_1280.jpg

http://www.wildcelt.com/frank_lloyd_wrights_other_women.php

Interesting bit on Mrs. Della Walker too.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks -- that is a great pic of the living room, lighted in such a way as to bring everything vividly (if unnaturally) to life. I wish the companion photos, in the second link, would enlarge as well.

DRN sends along a set of his own photos of the house, taken on a beautiful day with a little haze in the ocean air, and with the glass spotlessly clean. Was this a house tour, Dan ?

. . . .

. . . .

. . . .

. . . .

We see clearly, at last, how the stone wall behind the built-in seat is formed, and used. And, on the ceiling, note how the half-round molding on the exterior soffit is brought through the glass, as a tiny tapered extension . . .

It also appears that the horizontal steps in the window wall, while sloping as in the section drawing, are not glass, nor do they appear to open. Is that right ?

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Walker house was on the 2015 FLWBC Post-Conference Tour.
The horizontal panels in the windows were sheet steel...it was not clear to me if they were operable or not. I assumed portions of them were, but didn't think to run my finger under the panel on the exterior of the house to feel for joints or hinges (it would have required climbing on the furniture to feel for "flaps" from the interior). The window framing is steel, and reminded me of the glazing at Fallingwater in some respects. According to Chuck Henderson, one of the owners, the sea spray is omnipresent and the glass was touched up moments before we arrived. It was also noted that the salt air is very aggressive in its corrosion of the steel frame windows...maintenance of paint and restoration of steel where salt slips into the glazing and attacks the frame are ongoing and quite expensive.
Reidy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This erudite audience may correct me, but I don't think any of the living room windows are movable, whereas in the House on the Mesa the horizontal glass opened.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what we eventually learn about that detail at Walker, the next question might be, "Was there an adjustment, a correction, at some point -- perhaps after construction ?"

The section drawing displayed above has a note, "Vent flap See detail on Sheet #6." The material of the flap is not made clear, but it is drawn in a way to suggest (to me) that the flap is glass.

Are the flaps at House on the Mesa shown to be transparent ? Are they canted downward as they are here ?

Ah -- here it is:

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems obvious that the intention of the windows, metal or glass, was to allow ventilation, otherwise, what would be the point of the design? I looked up some early photos of Walker to see if there is an image that shows decisively whether the material was metal or glass, but because of the slant, it seems none of them show that detail clearly. It was always my assumption that they were glass.
DRN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horizontal "shelves" in the window system are as I noted sheet metal, presumably steel. My only question, which I did not answer for myself on site, (the ocean setting and the haptic sensation of it all was a bit distracting) was if the horizontals were operable. I'll ask Chuck Henderson at the next FLWBC Conference.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the answer. One of Dan's excellent photos, #2 above, shows the solid 60 corner at two levels of the louver plane.

I have an idea about why those horizontal steps are slanted downward toward the exterior: that angle helps them to disappear, when seen by a standing occupant. (How they look from the seated position is perhaps not so important, because sitters would be looking toward others in the room and not out to the view ?)

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: