Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Poll concerning Trump Donghia thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hope was that a group of people with something in common other than a political persuasion might in fact be able to approach a common problem with fresh insights. I did find insight, useful fact, and community with other contributors to that thread. And we had only one consistent minority voice, reminding us that we weren't just "preaching to the choir."

Now we have a new thread, looking at what Mr Wright said about war and about religion. Perhaps that will provide an opportunity to look at the personal insights of our favorite architect, while skirting anything approaching "politics" ?

SDR
Forest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for free speech and the expression of thoughts, ideas and opinions. But I visit this site for news, views and opinions on the work of Frank Lloyd Wright, and the occasional mention of other architects. I don't mind the Trump/Donghia thread as long as it remains unto itself. Those interested in its content can follow it, while those disinterested, like myself, can ignore it.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Forest -- I was hoping for that response from more Chatters. But it appears that some are truly offended by the thread's existence here, so I'm all for saying goodbye. We can't expect respect from those whom we disrespect . . . ?

Best -- Steve
Sequoia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the thread in question, questionable. I respect everyone's right to have an opinion, but this has gone a bit too far. We need more Wright, less tangents from all. Kudos to peterm for being aware enough to let this go, I believe that most others will gladly follow.
peterm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... I'll give everyone a well deserved break, and retire my posts on the Trump Donghia thread. I apologize to those who have found it to be an annoyance.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to beat this old, dead horse, but on a side note, slightly related:

My late brother and I did not get along for many years, each going his own way, crossing paths only rarely. Then in 2000, we began communicating regularly by e-mail, virtually on a daily basis, until his death in 2010. It was an amazingly cordial relationship, considering the past; funny, light-hearted, agreeable. However, in 2006 he visited me while on a road trip, and it was the same old crap as when we were kids.

It seems to me that, whatever the subject matter, posting online establishes relationships that are to a great extent artificial. I don't know what that says about face-to-face relationships in the future, but I doubt it's a positive assessment.
JChoate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick,
It says that sometimes Less is More.
Reidy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put me down as doesn't-matter, since I don't follow the thread.

I once compared people who bring up politics here to people who talk in movies. If I were religious I'd compare them to babies who cry in church. To run with the latter metaphor, as long as they stay in the crying room I don't care.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: