Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Auldbrass Plantation 2017 tours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Auldbrass Plantation 2017 tours Reply with quote

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article164940587.html
SREcklund

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Auldbrass Plantation 2017 tours Reply with quote

Paul Ringstrom wrote:
http://www.islandpacket.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article164940587.html

It took a very patient 38 minutes to get the transaction to process, but I'm one of the 500 who will be there on Saturday.

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
JChoate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan,
Have you been there before? If not, welcome south.
I went there 2 years ago, hard on the heels of visiting the Rosenbaum house. It was then at Auldbrass that I noticed both places smelled the same. Subsequently, FSC's new Usonian House, and freshly restored Pope-Leighey had the same scent. I think the Tidewater cypress has a pleasant & distinctive aroma. See if you detect it when you're there.
SREcklund

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JChoate wrote:
Stan,
Have you been there before? If not, welcome south.
I went there 2 years ago, hard on the heels of visiting the Rosenbaum house. It was then at Auldbrass that I noticed both places smelled the same. Subsequently, FSC's new Usonian House, and freshly restored Pope-Leighey had the same scent. I think the Tidewater cypress has a pleasant & distinctive aroma. See if you detect it when you're there.

I have not - other than Florida, this'll be my first foray into the south. My experience will be like yours - I'm flying into Charlotte, and doing a quick road trip to Florence, AL to see Rosenbaum before heading to Auldbrass. Very much looking forward to it.

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
JChoate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan,
I'm excited for you, that you'll be seeing two FLW masterpieces, both of which are among the most remote from the rest of his works, hence, less commonly seen. And both of which offer that wonderful tidewater cypress aroma.

One bit of bad news for you, given your expectation of "... a quick road trip to Florence, AL before heading to Auldbrass...":
According to MapQuest, the quickest drive from Charlotte to Florence takes 8 hrs and one minute. Then, the drive from Florence to Auldbrass takes 7 hrs 57 minutes. Both of those "quickest" routes take you thru Atlanta, which has rush hour traffic on par with Los Angeles (hit at the wrong time will extend your journey by an hour or two or three).

Let me know when you're passing thru. If it works out, lunch or dinner's on me. And possibly fellow Atlanta friends Nelson Brackin and/or Melissa Galt (FLW's great granddaughter) could join....
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, you know Melissa? I used to see her at the FLWBC Conferences years ago. Lovely lady.
JChoate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick,
I do know her. She's great.
A few weeks ago I ran across "All About Eve" on Turner Classic Movies featuring her mother Anne Baxter. There's a definite resemblance, although Melissa is MUCH nicer than the character Eve.
JChoate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan,
While you're planning your itinerary... I don't know if you know about Muscle Shoals, Alabama. The Rosenbaum House is located in Florence, AL which is a dignified old southern town, rather buttoned up and freshly starched. Think of white blossoms on stately magnolia trees. The Rosenbaum House is on the gradual downslope leading from the town square on down to the banks of the Tennessee River. A fitting place for Stanley Rosenbaum to return after Harvard to teach English Literature at the nearby university.
Just across the river, however, is Muscle Shoals -- (stop picturing magnolia trees).
When you drill into the significance of Muscle Shoals you learn about some legendary music recording history (Aretha Franklin, Rolling Stones, etc). The documentary "Muscle Shoals" used to be on Netflix but a quick check reveals its not currently offered. If you haven't already seen it, it will enhance your visit if you can do so. www.muscleshoalsthemovie.com
(If he sees his thread, it would be interesting to learn what PeterM thinks of Muscle Shoals ....)

By the way, adjacent to Muscle Shoals is Tuscumbia where Helen Keller's childhood home still stands preserved (picture "The Miracle Worker" --Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke's movie scene at the well pump in the backyard).
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"All About Eve" is Anne's second-most famous role (after "The Ten Commandments," which plays on TV every Easter), but she made some others worth looking for, including a superb performance in one of Alfred Hitchcock's lesser movies, "I Confess," with Montgomery Clift; "The Blue Gardenia," a noir film with Richard Conte and Raymond Burr, and 44-year-old Ann Sothern playing 20-something; "The Magnificent Ambersons," with Joseph Cotton and Agnes Moorehead, script and direction by Orson Welles; and of course her Oscar-winning turn in "The Razor's Edge," with Tyrone Power and Gene Tierney.

There is also a book, "All About 'All About Eve'" which details the making of the movie and all the superstars involved: Anne, Bette Davis, Gary Merrill, George Sanders (with spouse, Zsa Zsa Gabor in the background), Celeste Holm, Thelma Ritter, Marilyn Monroe and Hugh Marlowe.
peterm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muscle Shoals for me is 1967 Aretha Franklin with Jerry Wexler producing. Here is a glimpse of how people make music as a collaborative evolutionary process without reading music. Aretha is the consummate gospel/soul/feminist, and the band is raw and funky, never stepping on the toes of her soulful piano playing which is complete on its own:

https://youtu.be/3diMP_MT124

Last edited by peterm on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
JChoate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick,
I was a real Hitchcock junkie in my 20's & 30's (Rear Window hooked me). Of the 57 films he made, I figure I saw about 40 of them, many early & obscure. But, I never saw "I Confess". Is it good?
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "Hitchccock by Francois Truffau," 1966, p 148, I Confess is touched on briefly. Hitchcock says, ". . . Verneuil came along with this play, and I guess he must have done a good sales job, because I bought it! Now, when I buy a story, that doesn't mean I'm taking on the theme as well. They tell me a story, and if the subject is suitable, and the situation lends itself to what I want, the theme of the film will be worked out later on."

Truffaut: "That's a rather peculiar approach, but since it works, I guess it's logical. You must have run into some ticklish problems in trying to reconcile the criminal and religious elements in the screenplay."

Hitchcock: "As a matter of fact, it was difficult, and the final result was rather heavy-handed. The whole treatment was lacking in humor and subtlety. I don't mean that the film itself should have been hunorous, but my own approach should have been more ironic, as in Psycho -- a serious story told with tongue in cheek."

Donald Spoto (1976, p 226, says (after pages of tedious dissection, "The occasional heaviness and overdrawnness [sic] of I Confess are due to some unfortunate casting. Clift's method acting comes across as merely wooden, and Miss Baxter, whom Hitchcock had not wanted for the role, overacts distressingly."

SDR
JChoate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aretha & Jerry Wexler, yes indeed. Here's another:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbA931UxX68
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That means a lot to me. I had heard "Respect" on the radio, though I didn't know anything about Aretha; I typically only found one or two pop songs a year that caught my attention ("Pet Sounds" of the Beach Boys was another, in that period). Then one day in a hardware store there was a bin of records (!) and for some reason I decided I'd take two of the "I Never Loved a Man" discs, in that lavender sleeve, because they were cheap. Boy, did I spend time with that album . . . so it's great to know how that title track came to be. And I was able to give the second album to someone -- who knows who. I think I still have mine.

Another lucky hit was a Dusty Springfield record, with some of her better-known songs. In Boston a friend and I lent that album back and forth, for years. Cream caught my attention; Joni Mitchell and "Blue." Hmm . . . Oh, yeah, and a Jeff Beck LP wth Rod Stewart singing. "Blues Deluxe," a live track, is on that. Man. Just luck, considering all the choices there were, out there. Then "Layla" . . .

Somewhere in there I figured out it was the Blues that I was looking for.

SDR

Last edited by SDR on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
SREcklund

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JChoate wrote:
Stan,
I'm excited for you, that you'll be seeing two FLW masterpieces, both of which are among the most remote from the rest of his works, hence, less commonly seen. And both of which offer that wonderful tidewater cypress aroma.

One bit of bad news for you, given your expectation of "... a quick road trip to Florence, AL before heading to Auldbrass...":
According to MapQuest, the quickest drive from Charlotte to Florence takes 8 hrs and one minute. Then, the drive from Florence to Auldbrass takes 7 hrs 57 minutes. Both of those "quickest" routes take you thru Atlanta, which has rush hour traffic on par with Los Angeles (hit at the wrong time will extend your journey by an hour or two or three).

Let me know when you're passing thru. If it works out, lunch or dinner's on me. And possibly fellow Atlanta friends Nelson Brackin and/or Melissa Galt (FLW's great granddaughter) could join....

"Quick trip" is probably a bit euphemistic. Having gotten speeding tickets on the last three Wright road trips I've done, I've decided it's better to add that extra day and just cruise. So I'm flying into Charlotte and spending the first night in Anderson, SC, the second night in Huntsville, AL, the third night in Lithia Springs, GA after touring Rosenbaum, and the fourth and fifth nights are in Okatie, SC, bracketing the Saturday tour at Auldbrass. So I'm sure there'll be plenty of time in there to set something up ... Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: