Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Massaro Houses and Island for sale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Massaro Houses and Island for sale Reply with quote

https://is.gd/GKDUep
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll assume that "5K" on the heli-pad denotes the tonnage the roof will accept -- 2.5 tons, or 5000 pounds ? Perhaps heavier craft might hover to deliver or pick up passengers . . .

A mural of indifferent quality has been added to the central area of the house, it appears. Easily corrected, unlike the poxy wall surfaces. Still, not a property to be sneezed at. Gesundheit !

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are worse ways to inhabit an island in upstate New York, though I'd recommend rolling up the throw rug in the living room before setting up the pins in the fireplace for bowling. I wish the masonry didn't grate on my sensibilities as much as it does...it would have been better to just build a multi-wythe fieldstone wall. According to the Mono's, Wright seemed to change masonry types in the design process when site conditions or budget warranted.
JimM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to beat a dead horse or impugn, but for the life of me I just can't understand why those rocks were even used, although I recall it had something to do with the codes. Regardless, the house was executed well and would have been "appropriate" and much more appealing without them. The dark gray concrete walls -or some other color-would have looked just fine on their own. Maybe the owner insisted on them?

The mural would be gone quickly.
peterm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solutions to the skin ailment?

If flagstones were cut thin enough, figuring out some method of adhering them to the walls, adding at least twice as many would be a start. Then skimming plaster or concrete in a rough manner to at least make the stones on the same plane as the surrounding walls could help, though it would probably create problems for the meeting of stone walls to wood.

What a disastrous acne! Is there an architectural Clearasil?
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dermabrasion. Maybe the Fire Cure -- though that means throwing the baby out with the bathwater (at the risk of metaphor overload). Scraping the walls of all excrescences and starting over, with a plain plaster or perhaps a different stone treatment, seems possible. We recall that one bedroom has a much more appealing, if conventional, stone veneer to its walls:

http://inhabitat.com/angelina-jolie-buys-gorgeous-petre-island-for-brad-pitt/massaro-house-frank-lloyd-wright-3

SDR
SREcklund

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimM wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse or impugn, but for the life of me I just can't understand why those rocks were even used, although I recall it had something to do with the codes. Regardless, the house was executed well and would have been "appropriate" and much more appealing without them. The dark gray concrete walls -or some other color-would have looked just fine on their own. Maybe the owner insisted on them?

The mural would be gone quickly.

The two things that frost me most about this property - other than the "bull-in-a-china-shop" mentality that brought it to life in the first place - are the godawful mural he stole from Zaferiou (inserting his own house), and his contention that, facing the code-based insulation challenge that led to the disastrous rock pustules, "Wright would have done the same thing".

No sir, he wouldn't have. He'd have stepped back, evaluated, and developed an elegant solution. He'd no more execute that stonework than he'd call out for a faux finish because the proper plaster was just "too hard" ...

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah -- the dawn breaks on Marble Head (as we say in Massachusetts). The stones are stuck out from the surface so that continuous rigid insulation can continue behind. Do I (finally) have that right ?

If so, isn't the solution -- and what the owner should have done -- obvious ? Rather than insisting on an obsolete suggestion by Mr Wright (a construction no longer appropriate, in the context of today's environmental and code issues), shouldn't the owner's architect have suggested an alternate wall material and/or appearance ? And shouldn't the bastard wall that resulted be corrected, to the extent that this can be done without necessitating major surgery ?

S
Craig

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed about the stonework. This technique would be perfect if someone ever builds a Flintstones museum.

Looking at these photos I just noticed another example of how poorly thought out some of the details are. The architect uses a triangular shape to frame the ceiling lights a la Wright but then inserts what appears to be prosaic white ROUND can in each of them! Surely something less off-the-shelf could have been fabricated for a $14+ million house?

At least you still get to own the original cottage. Has that been ruined too?

SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. The cabinetry began on a high plane, but succumbed in part to the tricky realities of kitchen design: A single 10-foot sheet of mahogany plywood might have been long enough to provide for the whole run of base cabinets we see in the photo -- but something happened at the dishwasher to defeat that plan. I don't believe that this appliance would accept only a 1/4" panel for its front, though there was a time when that was the case.

The matching mahogany kick panel was a brave move, doomed to defeat over the course of (not too much) time, when repeated wetting, and the natural accumulation of physical contact and accumulation of soil, will mean that it has to be covered with some less delicate material. The special pulls, lovingly crafted, are yet to collect the inevitable finger-marks and oil-stains on the surfaces surrounding them -- and the person who applied them to the cabinet fronts should be fired: they were apparently placed by eye, judging by the upper-left-most example . . .

SDR
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Drone tour of the Massaro House exterior Reply with quote

https://is.gd/DXkxpN
Craig

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my. I almost expected to see a mushroom cloud at the end. (I guess I have North Korea on my mind).
peterm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha!

Maybe it's smarter marketing to envision it as an evil dictator's private island lair, than as architecture. Sell the island, not the pockmarked house...
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting at 2:39 we have the best view yet of the living room, properly lighted and lasting long enough to take us from the "back" of the space, where we don't yet see everything ahead, through the room on an arcing path to a terrace door at left of the fireplace.

The hook shape of the terrace plan is a form we see from time to time in the work; some perfs have a similar shape in them, sort of like a comma or a quotation mark ?

Last edited by SDR on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music sounded like a mish-mash of Philip Glass (c. "Koyaanisqatsi") and John Williams (c. "E.T."?) on meth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: