Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Frank Lloyd Wright Monographs Books 1-8 FOR SALE
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR,

Vol. 9-10 are exclusively preliminary sketches and studies. Vol. 12 contains the renderings and is the thickest volume (probably only relative, but the paper stock is a little heavier).

Perusing a whirlwind of creativity versus studying the resolution of the creative process are very different "heads". There's almost "too much" in the preliminaries to absorb, sometimes nothing to be found in execution. Of course, this has it's own attraction for study and all volumes are desirable.

If a choice between a volume of preliminary drawings or construction plans, the latter would win out for me. A choice between 9-10 or 12 alone, I would choose 12.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jim. That's helpful. I'll probably find more than enough joy in the volumes covering the individual building projects. These are, after all, the only publications of construction drawings at sufficient scale for study, that I expect to see in my lifetime . . .

SDR
JChoate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S,
Congrats again about your soon-to-be--received monographs. I can't think of more worthy hands into which such tomes should fall. Among the lot of us, you've got the best eye for detail so it should be interesting to see what catches it as you explore the new pages.
Regarding vols. 9-12:
I've got 9, 10, & 12 so I can speak to those. As Jim M implies, its different strokes for different folks.
12 is a beautiful book (selected renderings) but they are mostly (if not all) iconic enough that you will have seen them already elsewhere. If you were to only own a single volume perhaps it would be the big, artful overview. But, having most of the rest of the set, I don't find myself pulling it off the shelf.
I don't have #11, but regarding #9 & #10 -- they might just be the most interesting of the set to me. Rather than the frequently seen finished renderings, these doodles and roughed out plans, sections, and elevations are exclusively from FLW's hand. You can tell by looking at them that he was sitting at the drafting table working thru his design, hastily putting graphite to paper to see what the idea looks like. Scrubbing parts with an eraser then fine tuning with a scribble. It's amazing some of these scraps survived. (I typically discard preliminary sketches once a design progresses farther down the line). If you want to sense the pencil in his hand, to imagine peering over his shoulder to see what he does, these sketches get you in that arena.
Here are a few excerpts from vol 10:

But, I am wary to wax on, because your receipt of the prior eight volumes is a boon to the community, and will keep you plenty busy. I'm sure we're all eager to learn what your hawkeye spots.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, James.

The first image is one we've seen recently, with the fellow who's modeling the print showroom project. I still love that off-center fireplace, discarded as the project moved forward. In fact, that plan must have been drawn for a different building altogether ?

The bedroom fireplace (?) at Taliesin is interesting. I wonder what house commission might be associated with the third cut.

SDR
JChoate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S,
That last sketch plan is labeled:
"Project: House for Richard Lloyd Jones scheme #1 Tulsa, OK 1929"

Additional text says that the eventual built house involved revising the unit plan from diamond to square.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes, that wonderful first Jones plan that followed closely the Arizona houses for Cudney et al, with similar geometries. I wish some of that work had been built.

You might enjoy R L Sweeney's "Wright in Hollywood," which covers a period in the career -- namely, the 'twenties -- rather than a specific geography. Sweeney has the facts, and some good drawings and photos.

S
JChoate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm loving this new magnifying glass doo-dad I just got !!
It's a Monograph's best friend:

SREcklund

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JChoate wrote:
I'm loving this new magnifying glass doo-dad I just got !!
It's a Monograph's best friend:

Gorgeous! I've been looking for something similar for my set - I end up using multiple lenses and it's just a awful mess!

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that it's hands-free. Now that I have a true macro-lens camera I'm over that hump, but still . . .

Do you suppose it's an antique, or is it new ?

SDR
JChoate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Tis new.
I spotted that magnifying glass doo-hickey at an art supply store (called Sam Flax). I just checked, however, and their website doesn't present that particular item when searched.
Interestingly, that same art supply store has a fairly large Taschen Books kiosk full of their opulent oversized art books for sale including their Wright tomes (from whence, I bought volume 3). Four years ago, when I sold my previous house it was to a woman who had just moved from LA to be the regional rep for Taschen books, so I suspect she is behind their grand display at this particular art supply store. A block away is the Atlanta hub for the Savannah College of Art & Design, so this particular art supply store is crawling with young, purple-haired art students, replete with requisite art school tattoos & nose rings. The predominant presence of all that youth means that objects like magnifying glasses (a godsend for middle-aged eyeballs) don't really fly off the shelf.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Francisco has had a Flax store (no Sam, as far as I know, but it must be the same entity ?) for as long as I can recall. I assumed it was a local one-off. Amid all the real-estate upheaval -- everyone in the world seems to want to live here, and a spate of housing (and soaring rates) has resulted -- the original Flax store on mid-Market Street closed, and a minor satellite opened on the waterfront near downtown. I count it a loss for the art community. We still have a couple of Blicks . . .

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: