Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

New Yamagiwa Frank Lloyd Wright lamps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamagiwa is producing a similar sconce based on Beth Sholom, and like the Lamberson Pendant and their Taliesin lamps, only available in Japan. Scroll down past the Lamberson Pendant:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Life-Arts/Life/Japanese-company-keeps-the-Frank-Lloyd-Wright-flame-burning
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very handsome series of light fixtures. I think they would stand out a bit much if placed in the ordinary square/rectangle structure. Lamberson is the perfect place for it.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick makes a crucial point. No matter how authentic a Wright recreation may be, it is the purchaser who will make the decision about how and where
the object will be installed and displayed. The attraction of the (copyrighted) name is irresistible in the market, leading to a growing list of those permitted
by the Foundation to manufacture objects. We can only hope that some of these items will end up in appropriate surroundings.

As there are, or will be, many more loose items than Wright and Wrightian buildings to house them, we can expect these trophies to appear, perhaps in
the pages of the shelter magazines, and elsewhere, in various contexts few of which will be perfectly suited to them.

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like that white, wingback chair in the Boomer House: An item out of its natural place. Context matters.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter found this ad for the Lamberson fixture. What Wright structure do we see here ?

It appears that someone at Yamagiwa might benefit from an architect's input. The three lighting fixtures seem oriented to show
the same aspect to the camera, rather than being aligned identically to the room . . .

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That room is in the Jiyu Gakuen Girls' School.
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly hope that is not a permanent installation.
Making a light fixture based on a Wright designed fireplace basket/grating and placing it in an unrelated brand X building seems fine in terms of ornament to my sensibilities, as does placing that fixture in the building for which the grating was originally designed...it naturally harmonizes, and as long as it is known Wright didn't actually design the fixture, no harm.

But to place the lamp in another Wright building from 30 years prior for which Wright designed a wholly separate ornamental language seems aesthetically wrong. From a historical point of view, it is clearly blurring the story of the room....how do these lamps illustrate Wright's original intentions for lighting the room in the 1920's?

Last edited by DRN on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't argue with that. One saving grace, here: the window muntin pattern includes equilateral triangles . . . ?

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine that the lamps were installed for advertising purposes only and are temporary.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light fixtures designed for JG (very likely not by FLW) are curious, indeed. See Mono 4/186-8. There is an orthogonal frame of wood with a large, possibly 12" diameter, globe contained within pendant rectangular "blinders." I don't know quite how to describe the whole thing, but no triangles are involved.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hear Mr Wright muttering to himself: "Let's see -- something exotic and primitive . . . exotic and primitive. How about bare wood and rustic fencing ? Yes -- that might work . . ."

The plank tabletops with gap delight me; they match the chairs (of two kinds). Note floor as well. Fireplace at left. No triangles visible in the second shot.

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The banding in that second shot might inform our perplexing Spaulding project of a similar vintage.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call. I'm somewhat relieved to see molding dead-ending at an inside corner . . .

In Mono 4 Pfeiffer tells us that the school was designed by Arata Endo and Mr Wright "in collaboration." He quotes them extensively on the project; Jiyu
Gakuen translates as Garden School of Freedom. In 1922 they wrote: "It was intended to be a simple happy place for happy children -- unpretentious --
genuine. It is built in no certified style. It has style all its own. Impressionable children can not fail to take away with them from it something of beauty and
friendliness to help form a standard of judgement in after life [sic]. This matter of style in modern life is so confused at the present time that the simple repose
of a clear, decided example of this kind can not fail to be valuable, especially in connection with the education of growing children . . ."

I really do like that row of six hanging lanterns, ones at the end kept in line with the elaborately suspended ones. I could not find drawings of these or a plan of the room showing them . . .

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The room with the new light fixtures is Classroom 2 at the east end of the main block. In Storrer, only that element of the plan is drawn, and the room is at the right end. In Storrer's plan of the upper level, the dining room is the one with the chairs, tables and those wonderful light fixtures. There are two Japanese publications of measured drawings of FLW's Japanese buildings. While JG room elevations, fenestration and the tables and chairs are included, the lights are not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: