Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

New Yamagiwa Frank Lloyd Wright lamps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egads

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the socket is a standard size, rewiring is not necessary. A regular standard base lamp is called E26. The lamps come in 120 & 220 volt. A 220V lamp screwed into a US 120V fixture will just be dim. Appliances are a different story.
By the way, when wiring these fixures, brown is hot, blue is neutral, green stripe is ground.
Healeyjet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that they use the E14 Euro base so at most you are saying buy a E14 base bulb for 120V?

Ward
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lamp is not technically available in the U.S. I received it as a gift since the lamp is based on the Lamberson firebasket. It hadn’t occurred to me that the bulb size would not be standard...

Now I need to decide where it should live in the house. I’m contemplating doing the unthinkable and positioning it in the corner of the living room in front of the mitered glass. There don’t seem to be many other options, at least in the living room.

SDR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a good spot. The 60º acute corner is perfectly suited to the equilateral triangle of the fixture's plan shape.

Two other photos of that glazed corner:

The light deck above should make the wiring connection easy to accomplish.

Elsewhere in the house, another 60º corner is found here:

SDR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other ideas, anyone ?

Another spot in the living room might be over the dining table(s), assuming they are intended to remain at one end of the bench seating:

That would created a vertical interruption at the table, around which space would revolve -- a moment in the larger space of the room. Downside: the overhead is already well-served with built-in downlights.

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another spot would be high above the fireplace -- the source of this fixture design -- in the space above the light shelf.
Wiring here would be more complicated. Perhaps discreet surface wiring would be acceptable, in the gloom above ?

Photo shows the room before the fireplace was restored . . .

SDR
egads

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Healeyjet wrote:
It appears that they use the E14 Euro base so at most you are saying buy a E14 base bulb for 120V?

Ward

Just google E14 base bulb and many 120v options are available.
This Led filament style lamp would be a good choice in my opinion.
At 200 lumens it would not be very bright (like a 20watt incandescent)

https://www.gearbest.com/led-light-bulbs/pp_346725.html
egads

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s too bad it is so expensive and collectible, because I think out in the carport, maybe hung low by the front door would be ideal.
Modmom1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely gift!

Off subject, but since David was so kind as to bump old threads after the site came back up, I was exposed to a thread from when you first purchased Lamberson and I really want to comment on the exceptional restoration you and your wife have accomplished! Just beautiful!

I love how the seating bench transverses the glass to the outdoors!
peterm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. And kudos to you guys on the transformation of your digs!
Craig

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I’m contemplating doing the unthinkable and positioning it in the corner of the living room...

Not being in the space, my hesitation for this location would be the blockage of the beautiful long run from indoors to out. How would it read in the house?

If the light is to be used for dim, decorative effect that too will determine its best location.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
Beautiful lamp and wonderful restoration. I think the lamp in the miter-less corner would be attractive from both inside and out. Probably should be hung a bit higher that you normally would do if you were going to use it for lighting on the couch for reading, etc.

Could it be that Wright designed this "basket" to just hold kindling for the fire?

Paul
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the history of your desk lamp. Looks to be the same wood as mine. Do you know what it's made of?
peterm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig- That’s my hesitation, too, although it would only block the long run when sitting on the bench at the other end. The top of the lamp would probably need to hang at about 5’. At that height it would only block a portion of the treetops. More concerning would be the reflections: desirable or annoying?

Paul- My hesitation at the other end near the entrance is that it would block one of the only places in the living room where Wright left a flat vertical plane to hang art (in this case, our Navajo blanket). I would need to relocate that, and instead hang a vertical narrow piece. I also think it’s a pretty nice spot for the other Yamagiwa staggered Taliesin lamp. (Is there a name for those lamps?)

As for the firebasket: kindling maybe, though he shows it hanging fairly low. I would picture ash and coals flying all over the room. (Maybe something Mr. Wright would enjoy ;- ) Some have speculated that stones or charcoal might have been the idea, generating more heat, helping to increase the draw. Maybe even cooking food as in an early colonial era fireplaces?

Matt- Our Taliesin lamp was made in the ‘80s by Bexley Heath. Stafford owned it previously and used it as a template to craft his cypress lamps for the Malcolm Willey house. It is extremely well executed, solid, level and plumb. The oak would not be my first choice, but it is lovely nonetheless... I’m fairly certain yours is not oak, but I’m only judging by the photographs. By the way, I sent you a private message; not sure if you saw that...

Most current view of living room. I think it might work in the far corner, almost like a mobile by day, lantern by night?

DRN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A relatively high mount, as Paul R. noted, in the glazed corner would look great...it picks up on the Maxfield Parish "lanterns in the tree" concept when viewed from within the house.

Having this lamp in the room really begs for the steel basket to be fabbed and installed in the fireplace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: