Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Spaulding Print Room
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meisolus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SDR! That's just what I needed. I found a good photo of the door handles and am copying them for the print room. I wanted the bolts to match.

Another question: the set of doors on the mezzanine are proper doors but the rest are windows and are high up/difficult to reach. I'm sure the bolts would have to be opened with some kind of long hook, but do you think that they would have handles? My instinct is that there would only be the bolts, which could serve the same function. I think adding operable handles would just complicate the situation.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds right to me. What you may want is a transom latch. The hook is mounted to a hardwood pole, which must be stored somewhere. In my '30s high school every classroom had its pole, standing in a corner.
The steel windows had hopper or awning ventilating sash at top and bottom; the windows were perhaps eight feet tall.

Here's the hardware: https://tinyurl.com/y94t9qcu

SDR
David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the photos that I have seen so far, it is not appreciated what type of mechanism allows the board to be held vertically:

http://www.al-islah.net/images/frank-lloyd-wright-furniture-reproductions-frank-lloyd-wright-japanese-print-table-circa-1900-sold-to-chicago-museum-l-reproduction
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. How about scale ? In "50 Favorite Furnishings" Diane Maddex says that the poplar and pine stand made c. 1895 for the Oak Park home "stood about four feet tall."

She mentions two others: for Dana (1902) and Little (1903). And she cites the "narrow, spindled mahogany print stand" made for the 1908 exhibit at the Art Institute of Chicago.
We've looked at that before.

I can't help with the hardware. The photo of the Dana stand shows ordinary leaf hinges to the top of the leafs, at center. A so-called butler's tray hinge
would mortise flat into the tops and allow the leaf to fold upward; what you want is the sewing-machine hinge, which looks similar (often with rounded
ends to the leaves) but hinges 180ยบ so the table leaf could swing both up and down.

I see a hint of butt hinges on your model. Would they allow the leaves to fold downward ?

Maddex mentions only that one print stand leaf could be folded upward. The fall-back solution for holding it there would be a small slide bolt to the
underside of the leaf, engaging a hole drilled in the post of the stand. To be properly finished, the hole should have a little circular escutcheon, like one
you might install for a cabinet keyhole.

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, I think the vertical position of the leaf as shown in the photo you post is not for display, but just showing how the two leaves are folded up to be dropped down below, with the spindled supports enclosing the whole. See Thomas Heinz's Dana House book, page 45. If one were to try to display anything against the leaf in its vertical position, it would just slide down the flat part of the table.

Contact Dana-Thomas.org; I'm sure they will help.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddex's description varies from that: she writes, "To display prints, spindled sides [sic] were swung out to support a broad, hinged table top, one side of which could be tilted up. When not in use, the print table was folded up
into a compact H-shaped unit, its two-sided top [sic] lowered between the posts underneath."

If the tops raised and slid down -- a clever option for their storage, like a Scandinavian fold-expand dining table I've seen -- hinges would not have been necessary ? Or are the leaves hinged to each other, and disappear inside ?

Here is how the Dana table appears in the Maddex photo.

Here's the repro table David linked:

Last edited by SDR on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more examples. The variations echo those of the Origami chair and the Taliesin lamp ?

I'm guessing that on the examples with two hinge lines, the central block slides down with the leaves, keeping them centered in the frame ?

None of the hinging options would prohibit the raising of a leaf as a display surface ?

From an ArtNet auction page:

From a U Wisconsin page:

Last edited by SDR on Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two alterations appear in the above photo. The hinges are different, and there is a handle on the underside of the leaf. The Maddox photo also seems not to include the narrow (~4"?) board between the two leaves, but close examination of the hinges shows that it is there.

This is the table at Dana. Check Heinz's photo on page 45 of his book, and even though the photos are very dark, that board is obvious. Clearer images are in Donald Hoffmann's book, pages 94 to 97.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, SDR, you squeezed some photos in while I typed. The one titled "Past Auction" is the type I referred to at Dana, but the one with the piano hinge, which might get in the way, is the Northome type.

Heinz says that all the tables built conform to the same overall measurements. Whether the width is 46" and the depth 45", or the other way around is anyone's guess, but the 48" would refer to the height of the posts.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, here's a table credited to the Frank Lloyd Wright Trust, found in a Curbed article. The photo illustrates a condition where the table is placed against a wall -- when no support for the raised leaf would be needed.

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That version seems to have the center board, and raised hinged against which the prints could be held.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, Meisolus, for some antique window hardware, see David C's latest entry on the thread "Article: Polymath Park & Lindholm House" at the bottom of the article.
David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Definitely my table is too big ...
Meisolus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the hardware done. After trying to chase down a lot of old hardware, including Roderick's suggestions, I wasn't finding what I wanted. I figured that copying the Robie living room hardware at least wasn't incorrect.

They probably aren't perfect, but they're close (enough).

Now I just need to finish up the pendants and put the prints in, then it's all up to David.
Meisolus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New wooden knobs, thanks to the Thurber gallery example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: