Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

New wooden building

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: New wooden building Reply with quote

http://www.archdaily.com/478633/tamedia-office-building-shigeru-ban-architects

LOTS of detail photos . . .

http://www.archdaily.com/870011/workshop-awel-andelfingen-rossetti-plus-wyss-architects?utm_medium=email&utm_source=ArchDaily%20List

Thank goodness for the scale figure !

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honey, I shrunk the inhabitant!

Is there any mention in the text of the debt owed to Wright and his Usonian designs?
SDR

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, though I posted these here in reference to Wright's exposed woodwork, I don't see him in these two examples, both of which are far more constructivist than was Wright's habit. The beautiful simplicity of the second building, and its incidental but delightful horizontality, is only superficially reminiscent of the Usonian idiom -- for instance. Wright built nothing like a log cabin, nor did he assemble wood a la Tinker-Toy. But it's refreshing to see such dedication to using the material heroically, and the solving of the intrinsic problems with such panache -- relying heavily on modern technology, of course.

I'd love to scale down the slotted-together slabs walls, to make a house. The illustrations don't reveal what keeps the slender tabs outside the corners of the building from breaking off -- not such a problem at that scale, where some internal structure takes care of the problem. At "ordinary" scale, a flitch plate or other insertion would be necessary, to use ordinary lumber in such a fashion. The fact that the boards are lapped to keep the weather out while providing ventilation and a bit of light, is an aesthetic bonus . . .

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shigeru Ban's impressive timber-frame is shown with construction photos and diagrams. Despite those aids, I'm unclear on the assembly sequence. If the oval-section beams penetrate the knuckle-shaped horizontals even a bit, the verticals would have to be assembled simultaneously, one whole bay at a time -- a possibility, I suppose. Another question: what are the wooden hooks visible at each knuckle ? These are concealed when construction is complete. What do they engage -- the ends of the oval-section beams ?

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One also wonders what provides shear resistance in Shigeru Ban's lovely timber-frame construction. Perhaps it is tied to the two adjacent structures, which are more conventionally framed ?

SDR
Tom

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of the shear would also be taken up in the diagonal bracing up top and even a little in the pin joints: elliptical section will resist rotation.

Did you notice the picture of those guys hammering the joint connection?
Gheeze.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah -- using blocks to protect the material. I guess those wood hooks do engage the ends of the oval beams -- which do not fit tightly into their sockets, instead having a precise reveal all around. Impressive detailing all around.

Diagonals at the roof would not do much for the whole structure, would they . . .

SDR
Tom

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diagonals at the roof structure:

This was my thinking:
because diagonals typically take shear in frames
and because I see no diagonals anywhere else
ergooey those up top must be taking shear.

thus the limits of my analysis
brilliant eh?
SDR

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Yeah; maybe that's where the yellow went . . . (obscure reference to a toothpaste ad from the last century).

Moment frames and other shear-resisting structure seem to be most prominent on the lower floors of a structure, getting progressively lighter as you go up.

Also, the diagonals only take east/west loads, not north/south ones, here . . .

There is a core at the inside of this plan that could be of help. Maybe it's all there.

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: