Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Darwin D. Martin House
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. At least it's a simple and purely vertical element, not some Grecian urn !

(Technically, I linked to an image, rather that posting one. There's quibbling for you . . .)

It will be wonderful to see this mosaic-in-the-round completed. I only hope it's subtle rather than garish. The brightly-colored close-up we've seen of another mosaic of the period doesn't match the color description, or the suggested appearance in black-and-white photos, that we have of the Martin work.

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe some remnants of the original mosaic have survived, so the experts will have something to refer to.
JimM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse if already posted. Looks familiar but didn't see it in the last Martin thread, but if so, I definitely missed the installation video.

https://www.buffalorising.com/2017/06/big-reveal-martin-house-fireplace/
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks; haven't seen that. A breathtakingly brief peek at the installation procedure -- but enough to learn that the job was panelized, as expected, and that some pieces were installed after the panels were in place. Vertical corners are almost closed; maybe a bit of green/gold rubbed into the mortar would help them disappear ?

Camera travel in the video gives the best impression of color and texture. A remarkably subtle and uniform piece of work, erring (despite the bright greens and golds of a still photo, which for the moment I discount) on the side of restraint, always a good choice when in doubt. The golden ochre iron-spot roman brick does nicely with this limpid glazed Lion's Head or Celery Tofu Soup as a backdrop . . .

I await more photography. In the meantime, congratulations to all who worked to make this happen -- a crowning touch to a magnificent major restoration project. The overly of tendrils, branches and leaves on a background grid seems particularly sympathetic to Wright's design idiom, doesn't it.

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: