Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Stone gate at Taliesin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Shuck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Taliesin Gate July 25 2017 Reply with quote

[img]Taliesin Gate 7-25-2017 by Mike Shuck, on Flickr[/img]
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike. A brand-new shot.

There's a wealth of Spring Green and other Wright and Wrightian photos in that Flickr gallery . . .

SDR
JChoate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(adding onto last year's thread):
On Steinerag.com I just ran across this 1939 Taliesin brochure thingy which has a Taliesin site plan showing the former grand entrance driveway thru the (sort of) abandoned stone gates and on across the ponds. It's pretty consistent with Besinger's drawing.
One difference in the site drawing, they went ahead and optimistically included the unrealized design for the expansion of the Hillside complex (1939 was a watershed year for new projects so they were understandably optimistic about their future growth).
The connecting driveway between Hillside, Midway barn, and Taliesin to the east was not present.
It looks like the lone access driveway leading to the Midway barn might've traveled over and thru the wooded hillside, slightly different from Besinger's routing (previous page of this thread).
The drawings shows a small waterway just to the south of Hillside.

JChoate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awhile back i thought we'd exhausted the topic of the 30's era entry gate, but I just ran across some extra tidbits in that wonderful source Steinerag.

Here in Steinerag we see the original condition of the entry gate when it was built, as compared to its current state.

Interestingly, we can see the ghost of the now gone part on the right where grass doesn't grow so well.

Here's a close up of the original photo, plus one of the long gone mailbox. (it would be a bit of a hike to fetch that mail on any given day, particularly in the middle of winter).

DRN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat!
Letters/envelopes up top, with packages or drawing rolls in the lower compartment (with door ajar).
JChoate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we mirror the Yahara Boathouse drawing and then squint our eyes .....

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mail box should have a red flag to indicate to those looking out from the confines of the house on a day of inclement weather whether or not there was any mail for them to trudge out to retrieve.
JChoate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick,
Your idea is a good one. Only a few trees near the gate would require pruning or removal, otherwise there seems to be a clear line of sight.
For what it's worth, the Google Earth measuring thingy indicates that from the tip of the bird walk it is 1,806 ft. to the location of the mailbox (6 football fields, not counting the end zones).
Red would undoubtedly be the ideal color for the mailbox flag (for multiple reasons), however its scale would need to greatly surpass that of the garden variety suburban mailbox. Perhaps, it should be somewhere between 10 and 20 ft. tall, which would be consistant with the flagpole we see in the Yahara Boathouse drawing.
Rather than rotating that tall of a flagpole into position, perhaps the flagpole should be vertical & stationary and the mailman should just run up a square cherokee red banner whenever there was a delivery. Perhaps the flag could be stored in the little closet below the mail receptacle in between deliveries.

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's as the crow flies. Now measure the walk through the snow-bound drive one would have to make to retrieve the mail.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binoculars would make even a small marker visible -- in good weather ?

I love that mailbox structure. No reason not to apply one's preferred aesthetic to even the most pedestrian of functions !

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovness had a FLW-designed mailbox by the road. I don't see it there anymore on Google. Probably ended up at an auction house.
dkottum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red mail box flag is used by the sender to indicate outgoing mail for the letter carrier to stop and pick up.
dkottum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the Lovness mail box by the road, I think I have a photo if I can find it. I'll look. RG, you may be right about it ending up at auction. I think there was a steel gate from Lovness, removed when they widened the rather long driveway some years ago, being sold on Ebay.
PrairieMod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumbled across this photo of the entry to Taliesin circa 1934-36 likely taken by Sim Bruce Richards and thought I'd share:

From Modern San Diego: http://www.modernsandiego.com/splash.html
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. If the dates are right, this image suggests that, as things got livelier at Taliesin, it became necessary to add a sign identifying the owner of the mailbox and (not incidentally) the property ?

The 2x2 stickwork at right was perhaps added at the same time. It would be great to see the whole arrangement . . .

Thanks, Eric. Lots of other interesting things on that page !

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: