Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Donald Trump, Donghia and interior design
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 70, 71, 72  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry, we now have "Real News", Trump's own network, run by another family member, this time his daughter in law, and modeled after state run propaganda from other authoritarian regimes:

https://youtu.be/kGzuPuK7wG0
https://youtu.be/oNdVEWPnw7A
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it couldn't happen here ? To a populace weakening on increasingly unlivable wages, in an environment full of expensive entertainments and distractions, ill-educated over two generations and largely unaware of their country as a whole, living in the richest of the world's environments and with exaggerated expectations based largely on the post-war extravagance they or their parents were raised in, now assumed (per human nature) to be a normal standard of living . . . ?

While they sink, the 2% continue to levitate, ever higher in an unsustainable extravagance of their own, smarter and smarter and richer and richer, able to wield ever more powerful tools of advantage and exclusion, divorced from reality to a degree that makes the rest of us seem positively connected -- which we're not. No wonder they say the nation is divided !

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, what do you have a problem with? The Dow is at a record high, wages have begun to rise, unemployment is down, consumer confidence is high, Trump is donating his pay, as he promised.... Nothing reported on these two YouTube videos is false. It may be a bit smarmy to too one's own horn, but given the toxic nature of the culture today, top to bottom, left to right, what would you expect him to do? As he has said in the past, he's a new kind of president. It's a Brave New World out there. Get with the program.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, what is "it" that couldn't happen here? The sky is not falling. Your assessments seem off-the-cuff. As Peter might say, "Where's your proof?"
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back a post or two -- as I am expected to do, to find an unnamed Times story I am supposed to have referenced. My assessments are based on what I see, and what has happened during our adult lifetimes. Weren't you watching ?

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, Peter posted the Times story referenced. Your post seems more a general malaise about the state of the world not living up to your expectations, a downward spiral. Perhaps a response to aging? Yesterday always seems more idyllic than today, and tomorrow's unknown is frightening. I just believe too much negativity these days is being blamed on Trump personally.

I'm not too bothered by chaos. Sometimes it's good to shake things up. And if there is anything that Trump is accomplishing, it's to shake up the traditional way of doing things.
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to threatening nuclear annihilation, is he shoring up his evangelical base using apocalyptic biblical language, and playing God? Trump, of course, knows nothing of the Bible, but Pence and others surely do...

Trump: "They will be met with fire and fury and frankly power, the likes of which this world has never seen before.”

Isaiah 66:15: "For, behold, the Lord will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.”
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's others I'm concerned for -- odd though it seems to some, or idiotic; I'm doing quite well myself, thank you, more at peace and more satisfied with life than ever before. I was trying to describe the lives I'm hearing about from those closer to them than I. You know, like a quasi-responsible human being ?

"Perhaps in that flight of birds . . . the leader was not really a bold spirit trusting to its own initiative and hypnotizing the flock to follow it in its
deliberate gyrations. Perhaps the leader was the blindest, the most dependent of the swarm, pecked into taking wing before the others, and
then pressed and chased and driven by a thousand hissing cries and fierce glances whipping it on."

George Santayana, The Last Puritan
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen.
wrightasrain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is going nowhere.

SDR/Peter/others of left-leaning sensibilities: We get it. Things suck and are getting ridiculously suckier under a regime so unqualified it actually revels in it. No one with a human soul is missing that and I'm not sure daily reminders of it on a Wright chat site are an effective coping mechanism. It's just getting a bit exhausting and counter productive. "If you want it to heal, stop picking at it" and call your representative to complain instead.

The flip side is that Roderick is either a Woody Woodpecker-esque instigator for sadistic fun or he actually thinks the Faustian bargain of voting for Trump didn't stain his soul.

I will say that it bewilders how anyone can continue to be an apologist for what's going on is beyond comprehension. I get it that a lot of the dim, the disgruntled, the cohorts, the callous, or the basically bigoted could be ginned-up into voting for the side-show that was candidate Trump.

I get it if people didn't like Hillary or Bernie, or the Dems in general to have stomached a vote for them. The Dems are clueless, for sure. The fact they ultimately lost to the Republican side show in 2016 is a referendum on how out of touch and entitled they acted.

But to have thought it worthwhile to throw your lot in with someone who nakedly represents the worst caricature of all that is shameful about this country—and then continue to defend the daily downward spiral of incompetence is what is truly shocking (unless, again, sadistic cartoon Woodpecker).
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points... I do call my representatives. I live in Illinois, so they're already in agreement.

I have an idea... If someone cares to set up a poll asking whether the thread should be discontinued, and more than 50% agree that it should end, I will honor that and stop posting.

In the meantime, isn't it easy enough to ignore the thread if it's going nowhere? I'm truly sorry if it is boring or offensive.

He has now threatened nuclear war. My opinion is that the man is truly insane. He has full and total control of the nuclear arsenal. He has surprised everyone continuously, always doing and saying the unthinkable. What assurances do we have that he won't act on his threats?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/2150683/president-donald-trump-nuclear-war-codes/amp/

Last edited by peterm on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
wrightasrain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that I don't think this topic isn't important...it's just not really appropriate to this outlet and at this point you're using it for a daily diary of vent-able frustrations. Which when vented for the sake of venting, then spurs Roderick on to act on his obligatory sense of smug contrarianism (or to continue his effort to qualify for a visit by three spirits this upcoming Christmas Eve.)

Start a personal frustration diary, vote your conscious (because it appears you have one), bug your congress-people, sign petitions, etc. Those are all more constructive than this ceaseless diatribe. (and yes, one could just ignore it...but it's just as valid to argue that one could just not post political rants on an architecture chat site to begin with...which seems more logical?)

Let's get back to what this site is supposed to be about: Architecture and Design.

With respect to our "leader", sanity is linked to one's personal sense of reality...which is subjective and easy to corrupt.

I don't think Trump's insane...he's definitely got a personality disorder and is certifiably an a$$hole...which is sadly a worse condition than insanity.
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, if a majority want me to stop posting on this thread, (I don't want to speak for others...) I'll gladly put it to rest. I'm still contributing to the other hundreds of Wright and architecture threads unrelated to the current political situation.

Last edited by peterm on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion:
I count this thread as one of my useful avenues of connecting to political tempers outside of myself.
The time is unique and I think this type of forum is needed.
There seem to be no trolling voices here.
Only genuine and different pressures.
However, it could be improved if RG had some help,
... not that he needs it.
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who in the White House researched this and came up with the plagiarism lite? I seriously doubt that Trump himself researched Truman's quote. My guess is it comes from one of the Steves, Bannon or Miller. It's so similar to Truman, yet it has a little more Bible in it...

"If they do not now accept our terms they may expect a RAIN OF RUIN from the air, the like of which has never been seen on this earth."- Harry Truman

"North Korea best not make any more threats to the United States...They will be met with FIRE AND FURY, frankly power, the likes of which this world has never seen before.” -Donald Trump

Last edited by peterm on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 70, 71, 72  Next
Page 71 of 72

Jump to: