Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Donald Trump, Donghia and interior design
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Donald Trump, Donghia and interior design Reply with quote

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jessek49223aa90/before-the-gold-rush-the-legendary-decorator-who-tried-and-f?utm_term=.wwEpXevbP#.gcRqrxgMR
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in junior high and high school, the local barber shop I went to had the usual selection of magazines, but also Architectural Digest. I remember well the cool, understated, and urbane look of Donghia's work...it was in stark contrast to some of the visually rich, but way too busy interiors often showcased in AD. Too bad Trump trashed his bit of it.

The Hussein palace allusion is not far off:
https://www.google.com/search?q=saddam+hussein+palace+interior&rlz=1T4LENN_enUS619US619&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjflbGVqcfRAhVmiFQKHdnzBA8Q_AUICCgB&biw=1233&bih=586

Wes Peters' Pearl Palace interiors seem Zen-like by comparison.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oy! The errors!
1) The White House worth $110M on the market? Try doubling that, at least.
2) Trump exaggerates the size of his apartment, which is not 30,000 sf, but less than 20,000. Still big, but considerably smaller than the 55,000 sf of the WH.
3) State dinners held in the East Room? No, the State Dining Room is in the SW corner the building.
4) Trump's favorite color may indeed be gold; FLW once stated, "When in doubt, use gold." So Trump is in good company. If gold could have worked at Fallingwater, it certainly could work at Trump. It's the cherubs that push it over the edge.

The Trump Dump is Liberace on steroids, but Donghia's original concept was, in the 1980s, a trip back to the 60s. It was also very non-residential, looking more like a hotel bar for the landed gentry than a home.

As for the White House itself, no other house in this country has been remodeled and remuddeled more. The alterations began with Th. Jefferson, who added the columned south porch and terraces flanking east and west. Then the house burned to the exterior shell of stone during the War of 1812, with so much discoloration that the pale ochre-colored house was for the first time painted white. Andrew Jackson added the porte-cochere in the 30s. Succeeding presidents remodeled the interior repeatedly, often with disastrous results, especially during the presidencies of Hayes and Theo. Roosevelt. Originally the President and his family occupied the entire mansion. Some time in the 20th century the principal rooms were opened to the public, and the family was moved to the west quarter of the second floor plus the entire third, which was originally a storage attic. During Truman's last term, the rotted condition of the structure was noted, so HST moved out to Blair House, the WH was gutted, and all the structural portions of wood replaced with steel. In 1953 when DDE moved, it had the rather stark look of a new house never lived in, because, essentially, that is what it was. When Jackie Kennedy supervised the "restoration" in the early 60s, she ignored all the tumultuous past and "reimagined" it as an 18th century house, albeit with Abraham Lincoln's bedroom in the wrong place. Since then, the publicly accessible areas have not changed, and presidents have redone only their own apartment.
Craig

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a framed photo of Vladimir Putin seen on the coffee table in the after renovation picture?
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it's father Fred.

Currently, larger state dinners are held in the East Room of the White House:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/interactive-tour/state-dining-room

Fortune places the real estate value at 90 million. If sold with the art, artifacts, memorabilia, up to 250 million:
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2016/08/21/white-house-real-estate-appraisal/%3Fsource%3Ddam?client=safari

A poignant family portrait (note the cute stretch limo toy cars...):
http://www.gettyimages.com/event/melania-donald-and-barron-trump-at-home-shoot-103115603?#donald-trump-melania-trump-and-their-son-barron-trump-pose-for-a-on-picture-id103174256
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A poignant family portrait (note the cute stretch limo toy cars...):
http://www.gettyimages.com/event/melania-donald-and-barron-trump-at-home-shoot-103115603?#donald-trump-melania-trump-and-their-son-barron-trump-pose-for-a-on-picture-id103174256

My apologies in advance for this comment in this forum, but....

Is this the President-elect's idea of the ubiquitous warm, fuzzy, family portrait that shows the citizenry that the holder of the office is a real person with a spouse, a child, and a home? You've seen that type of photo...sans tie, usually on the porch or in the back yard, maybe a dog in the scene. In Mr. Trump's case, why not a nice photo in Central Park with casual clothing and staging? This photo is so unrelatable it boggles the mind....it might as well be a photo for a film poster. I question his understanding of the American people, their lives, and his ability to have empathy for them.

But then, if the idea was to flaunt of the trappings of extreme nuevo wealth to imply power, without resorting to going shirtless on horseback, which is so gauche, I guess it fills the bill.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weren't those photos taken for an Architectural Digest article?
DRN, would you have declined to publish a photo of your family seated happily in your FLW house? Or would you haul your family out to the park in casual clothes, or a shirtless equestrian romp?
"Nuevo wealth"? Is Antigua wealth preferable? Like the scion of the great bootlegger?
The invective since Her Highness was denied the Coronation is what boggles the mind. It denies the purported support for bipartisanship from the left.
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah c'mon- We have talked about matters of "taste" here all the time, and will continue to do so into the future because aesthetics are of paramount importance in design and architecture, and always reflect the times in which we find ourselves and the culture at large. Even if I supported DT wholeheartedly, I would get a chuckle out of this portrait!

(For some reason it might be necessary to open the link several times to see the image) http://www.gettyimages.com/event/melania-donald-and-barron-trump-at-home-shoot-103115603?#donald-trump-melania-trump-and-their-son-barron-trump-pose-for-a-on-picture-id103174256

The photograph reveals something about the nature and priorities of the man and his family who are about to inhabit the White House. Or maybe not! Is the residence of the president to be only symbolically Washington, D.C., but in reality Trump Tower in NY? Even if he spends 1/3 of his time in NY, it is of interest to the citizens of the US, and yes, the world, many of whom would find this photo amusing, or at least of interest...

Let's admit it, we have a president with unusual taste in interior decorating. Elvis's Graceland, Liberace's crib, lifestyles of the rich and famous come to mind. (Aren't we all capable of being snobs at Wright Chat, left or right?)

Trump's taste is classic nouveau riche, which I find unusual, since he was already raised with money. Within many theories concerning taste, class dynamics is understood as one of the principal mechanisms structuring taste and the ideas of sophistication or vulgarity. Typically the middle classes are frantically imitating the rich, but here, a rich man imitates the desires of a lower class vision of what it means to be rich. The taste of what we would associate with "old money" seems to be exhibited more by his daughter Ivanka: poised, articulate, well dressed, and undoubtedly more restrained than her father. The sons with their slicked back hair? The image presented is more that of Michael Douglas in Wall Street or 2000 mobster than old money. I would enjoy getting a glimpse of the interiors of their apartments/houses, wouldn't you?

Last edited by peterm on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Unbrook

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: The White House Reply with quote

I hadn't know that the portico was added as early as Jackson. Hoban's design had a pedimented entry on that North Elevation. The State Dining Room was carved out of a smaller room and the stairway to the second floor during President Theodore Roosevelt's term, so the entire building has undergone a lot of change. I understand the Trump women have stated a need for a "Glam" room where they can put on their makeup. I only hope that will happen in the third floor or in the basement.
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the Trump pic was sourced from a AD photo session...all posed Trump family photos seem to be magazine sourced and have a Robin Leach edge to them...typecasting maybe. But wouldn't you think Mr. Trump would have had something less flamboyant to offer the press once his candidacy picked up?

Compare these...

http://www.trbimg.com/img-562a8057/turbine/ct-paul-ryan-huppke-work-advice-1026-biz-20151023

http://static.communitytable.parade.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/marco-rubio-cover-ftr-1024x640.jpg

https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/screen-shot-2016-07-14-at-2-42-11-pm1.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&strip=all

http://static0.persgroep.net/volkskrant/image/e71a91e2-507f-4217-89c2-afb86147b004?width=664&height=374

These are all wealthy people seeking, or in public office...they just don't rub your face in it. My invective, if you want to call it that, was directed toward how the President-elect portrays himself to a population, part of which is literally scraping to keep themselves housed, and what his rationale for that portrayal might be. There may be none, and that too says something.

Last edited by DRN on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unbrook

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: White House Reply with quote

I think the Donghia interiors for Trump expressed such an understated elegance, even today after all these years. Remember Trump's family was from Queens, the New York borough and across the river so to speak. I don't believe his grandfather came from money, so D. Trump was really only second generation rich. Look at what the second generation Vandebilts did on Fifth Avenue. Luckily most of the era has not survived. When the Trump Tower first opened, I remember going to see it and being so unimpressed. The gold looked and was fake and the entire lobby/mall area gave me vertigo more than anything else.
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh but this is @real gold!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/25/95/41/259541bd245e00d7aa9126c36ce6f377.jpg
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, none of this has to do with taste. It's all about sour grapes.

I admit DT has horrible taste in architecture, but that doesn't have anything to do with how he will act as President. If it were a meaningful measure, that would imply that you approve heartily of Barry Goldwater and voted for him; his house, which has been posted here, was designed by a close follower of Frank Lloyd Wright. Also against JFK, whose proto
-McMansion was a cheesy Colonial knockoff. He also had such a hairdo he could hardly keep his top hat on during the inauguration. And obviously you voted for HW and Dole rather than that * deviant WJC?
JimM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trump's perfect woman....
[img][/img]
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Trump Dump" - Roderick Grant
Love it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Page 1 of 72

Jump to: