Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

F Schumacher and Company Taliesin Line
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Swan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to SDR for posting the images above.

The Schumacher fabric was NOT original - my understanding is it was replaced in the early 70s (the house was built in 1951 and 1952) but I'm not sure where that information came from. The original color was kind of an Avocado green (supposedly daughter Jean called it "puke green"). I know there is a sheet of information in the house about the fabric but I don't have a picture of it. I have asked another docent if she knows who has the file and will update if I have it.

I'm pretty sure the fabric on both the banquettes was the same but the garden room gets much more sunlight so it's faded more than that in the cove.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder about that last point. A look at the underside of that corner cushion -- which could never have been "turned" to defend against fading -- would be proof ?

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of a Usonian house (at least before 1955) that had upholstery fabrics with patterns.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fabrics that are monochromatic with small patterns, such as that shown on the Laurent photos, are best. Some of the bold, huge patterns are kind of scary.
Unbrook

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Taliesin Line Reply with quote

Did we get an answer about whether the Laurent textiles are the original Taliesin line? The fabric in the photos is the Imperial Triangles pattern, but I remember that from the 1980's introductions. I thought it was similar to but not exactly like the 1955 edition.

The large scale prints had their place. I believe the orignal patterns were used at the Price Tower,
peterm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Laurent fabric shown in the photos is the "Imperial Triangles" from 1986, not the Liberty Triangles from 1955. If the steinerag photos indeed document all of the color options, the Laurent fabric shows extreme fading. Scroll down to Imperial Triangles 4)Terra Cotta. (It's more likely that it's the color "cactus rose" shown in the next example:

http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Artifact%20Pages/Schumacher.htm

Unbrook

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Wright Fabrics Reply with quote

I wish there was a study of the fabrics Frank Lloyd Wright used/specified.

Later in his career he used fabric from an American artist-Dorothy Liebes. These were mostly textural, but she did fabricate stripes. The story goes the Mr. Wright appeared at her San Francisco studio and said I'll take this & I'll take that, and then left. Ms. Liebes didn't think any of this was real, until she heard from Taliesin about delivery.

The Zimmerman's purchased fabric through America House from Frances Wright for their upholstery.
Bill Swan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Laurent House we have been preparing for the 2017 tour season by reviewing various source material with an eye towards improving the talking points used by the docents. One of the documents states that the current color scheme shown in the pictures (the pictures are from October 2015) dates from 1994 so this would be consistent with the 1986 Schumacher Frank Lloyd Wright Collection.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article on the re-release:
http://www.wallpaper.com/design/schumacher-revives-62-year-collection-in-honor-of-frank-lloyd-wrights-birthday#196211

Schumacher Collection:
https://www.fschumacher.com/Collection/ViewCollections/fabrics/applied-architecture
SDR

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly, the Schumacher page linked just above makes no mention of Wright's name !

Are all those patterns from Taliesin ? I've not seen most of them -- and a couple at least hardly seem worthy of the name. But, de gustibus . . .

Credit should be given, in any event -- don't we think ?

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet that permission for some reason wasn't granted by the Foundation. It would be in the interest of Schumacher to have Wright's name attached for marketing purposes.

The new whiter versions are not an improvement, in my opinion. The turquoise, blue and gold in the original fabric has now been reduced to several shades of generic blue:

https://www.fschumacher.com/item/176870

DRN

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this page and its second:

https://www.fschumacher.com/Collection/ViewCollections/applied-architecture

...when one clicks on a fabric there is a blue box with a title "What makes this special"; the fabrics from 1955 are noted as such and others are listed "as inspired by....", or "based upon...". This may be a distinction. Still, some look unfamiliar..I suppose a period swatch sheet or House Beautiful print ad might be our best, most accurate history.

I recall when Schumacher offered the Taliesin line in the late '80's and early '90's, a number of the fabrics had colors that were not available in 1955...this may be continuing. The "Contract Interiors World" is heavily driven by fashion (as is Architecture, sadly) and some colors popular in the '50's would not sell today to an extent that would be profitable...similarly some colors are "hot" and must be offered to "move" a line of product.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do designs 103 and 501 look like Wright ? I've never seen 101 or Price House Print, either, but the former, at least, looks like it belongs.

I guess that, since some of these pages don't mention Wright means that Schumacher can mix in whatever they want ?

Playing with the colors is a separate matter, to me; it's troubling to see variations unedited by the architect, but at least the forms would be his.

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess they'll look fine in black and white photos...
SDR

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. There you go . . .

Seriously: 501 ? I know that Mr Wright had apprentices contribute designs like these; Long Po did beautifully, and Gene Masselink would have shone if he chose to participate. But who would have done that number ?

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: