Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

F Schumacher and Company Taliesin Line
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unbrook

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: F Schumacher and Company Taliesin Line Reply with quote

Schumacher is reintroducing some of the Taliesin Line fabrics in honor of Mr. Wright's 150 Birthday! I can't wait!!
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good news. We haven't covered these fabric and other patterns extensively -- so far; here are a couple of threads . . .

http://savewright.org/wright_chat/viewtopic.php?t=3301

http://savewright.org/wright_chat/viewtopic.php?t=3123

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter sends a photo of the Lamberson living space; he writes, "Schumacher fabric (based on the Coonley house design) used as a table runner."

peterm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you also love the three square lights (well, really they're rectangles...) that I randomly attached into the tabletop surface? I thought it was a creative touch...
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me those aren't reflections in your otherwise invisible table-top glass . . .

God, they are. Mmmm !

The light coming through those naturalistic blue-green stained-glass windows, and the candles on their sills for after dark, are pretty nifty too . . .

S
JChoate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a charming photo. A richly asymmetrical arrangement, and a pleasing palette of colors and textures.
While the table runner touches the Schumacher thread, the blanket at the far end of the seating alludes to the Navajo theme at Ocatillo.
Unbrook

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Taliesin Line Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings about the Taliesin Line. Supposedly Mr Wright "disowned" the venture after it was in production.

I believe that Samara still has draperies made of a fabric from the original collection-a sheer with a vertical gold thread running through it. The Price Tower organization was able to have a custom production of fabrics for their restoration. There were two additional collections produced by Schumacher, after the initial introduction. Most famously, the TV show "Full House" used a wallpaper border in one of the girl's bedrooms based on designs from the Coonley Playhouse.

I would hope that many of the Wright properties and afficionados will take advantage of this Schumacher offering.
peterm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fabrics are a bit like the Heritage Henredon furniture line, a way to bring a bit of Wrightdom into any sort of architectural space. I seriously doubt if Wright recommended these to clients when deciding on fabrics for upholstery or even drapery. The richness of texture and harmonized autumnal hues was what he typically specified, not busy pattern, especially in the Usonian era. I just happened to find someone on eBay who had some remnants. Amazingly, she gave them to me for the cost of shipping!
Bill Swan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a docent at the Laurent House in Rockford, IL. There are two built-in banquettes (one in "the cove" which is the living room and one in the "garden room") that are covered in one of the Schumacher patterns. It's called Imperial Triangles 2 and was inspired by fabric from The Imperial Hotel. My understanding is that the original fabric was different but the current fabric was added in the early 1970s.

Jerry Heinzeroth who is the president of the foundation that owns the house, has described the color at "Nancy Reagan mauve" which tour groups seem to enjoy.

I do have pictures but being a "newbie" I'm not sure how to add pictures (if someone wants to send a message describing how to do this I would appreciate it).
DRN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schumacher reintroduced the Taliesin line in the 1980's continuing into the '90's, with some patterns that were adaptations of Wright designs, and some that were not by Wright at all. Some background on both series:

http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Artifact%20Pages/Schumacher.htm
Unbrook

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Taliesin Line Reply with quote

Are the textiles at the Laurent House original? I thought the Imperial Triangle pattern was part of the 80"s introduction. I am always interested in original textiles and the color palette.
peterm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Artifact%20Pages/Schumacher.htm
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent Bill Swan a private message; he will have to visit his "messages" (see upper left) to find my note, as the system no longer reliably provides automatic email notifications of activity on the forum . . .

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Peter -- thanks for that. I had not seen a majority of the decorative items on that Steinrag page.

I like the "Liberty Weave" fabric; the colors are far richer than those explored in somewhat related designs by Anni Albers, I believe.

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Swan sends photos showing the Kenneth Laurent house fabrics in place:

The banquette in "The Cove" or living room

Closeup of the above which shows the pattern

The banquette in "The Garden Room"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: