For sale: John Van Bergen house in Maywood, IL

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

This is the Richard Cluever House (1913-14), located at 601 N. First Ave., Maywood. The 2.5 acre lot was landscaped by Jens Jensen

SDR

Post by SDR »

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/601- ... 9045_zpid/

The glazed doors and other millwork are pleasant; the kitchen is a nice shock. A Google aerial reveals the Greek cross plan.

Perhaps the landscaping could be revived ? The Des Plaines River is on the other side of the woods at the back.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Cluever is an enlargement of Skillen, and its mirror image.

outside in

Post by outside in »

I wish they would print floor plans - but I find it hard to believe that the one-story flat roofed stucco box was original - no interior photos of the space, but it looks awkward.

outside in

Post by outside in »

ugh, found the floor plan and see that it was a servant's room. It would be a better house without it.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Interesting contrast between the perfectly Wrightian fireplace (photo 15) with the other (photo 13).

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/601- ... ?mmlb=g,14

Where did you find a plan, John ?

S

outside in

Post by outside in »

I googled the name of the house and found it on Marty Hackl's website

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks. I suppose this is it ? Excellent resource ...

https://organica.org/pse/hackl/cluever.html

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

SDR

Post by SDR »

As an aside, more on Van Bergen and Mr Hackl:

https://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/3 ... companion/

S

outside in

Post by outside in »

based on the incompatibility of the servants room, my guess is that it was a last-minute client request/demand. This is where preservation "guidelines" get in the way - if I owned the place the first thing I would do would be to remove the box.

SDR

Post by SDR »

From the Western Architect, 1915

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The entire back façade is a jumbled mess. Everything seems to work inside, but the exteriors are not good.

DavidC

Re: For sale: John Van Bergen house in Maywood, IL

Post by DavidC »

I am unable to read the article but the headline states that the house has sold for $860,000.

David