Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Lovness Cottage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Education Professor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Lovness Cottage Reply with quote

While searching for information about the Lovness cottage, I came across the Spring 2018 edition of the Seth Peterson Cottage Conservancy newsletter which has a brief article about both cottages (see pages 4, 5, & 7). Page 7 shows illustrative floor plans of both designs:

https://sethpeterson.org/documents/newsletter/2018/SPCC-Online-Edition-Spring-2018.pdf

On another note, it looks like a book about the Lovness Studio and Cottage will be published in 2020 by Lonnie Lovness:

https://growingupwright.com/

I am looking in particular for some photos of the loft space in the Lovness cottage. I seem to recall seeing a photo of it in a publication some years ago but cannot find it now.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What form does the Lovness Cottage loft take ? What function does it serve ? Where is it located, relative to the first-floor plan ? Does it overlook the interior, or have an exterior opening---perhaps sharing the slot opening containing the kitchen window ?

Pfeiffer and company do not illustrate the rectangular Lovness cottages, A and B, that Wright designed---either in Monograph 8 nor in Taschen III---just the triangular one based on the Maginel Barney design. Perhaps those drawings are missing from the file ?

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The loft in Lovness is above the bathroom, and shares the topmost part of the slit window in the bath, not the kitchen, which has no window. There is an overlook into the kitchen. Although it was not available when we visited the house in 2000, it would appear to be no bigger than the bath. If it has any use other than whim, I don't know what it would be.

I don't know what has happened to the plans for the 2 other cottages; perhaps Lonnie will publish them.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes---bathroom window, not kitchen---thanks.

Because the Lovness cottage is not a Wright design (though it is clearly derived from one), neither Pfeiffer nor Storrer published a plan. Fortunately, we have this one, from the cited page.

https://sethpeterson.org/documents/newsletter/2018/SPCC-Online-Edition-Spring-2018.pdf

S
DRN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Peterson cottage has a loft too...it is over the bath and accessed via a ladder in the utility closet off the kitchen. The vertical slit window extends up to provide the loft with natural light. The SPCC uses it for seasonal and open house supply storage.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: thank for share Reply with quote

tonnyken wrote:
It is wonderful to be here with everyone, I have a lot of knowledge from what you share, to say thank you, the information and knowledge here helps me a lot

“you are young Grasshopper, but you will learn.” - Master Po
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We maintain "radio silence" when our conversation is interrupted by a spammer---but that's an apt and amusing response ...!

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: