Lovness Cottage

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Education Professor

Lovness Cottage

Post by Education Professor »

While searching for information about the Lovness cottage, I came across the Spring 2018 edition of the Seth Peterson Cottage Conservancy newsletter which has a brief article about both cottages (see pages 4, 5, & 7). Page 7 shows illustrative floor plans of both designs:

https://sethpeterson.org/documents/news ... g-2018.pdf

On another note, it looks like a book about the Lovness Studio and Cottage will be published in 2020 by Lonnie Lovness:

https://growingupwright.com/

I am looking in particular for some photos of the loft space in the Lovness cottage. I seem to recall seeing a photo of it in a publication some years ago but cannot find it now.

SDR

Post by SDR »

What form does the Lovness Cottage loft take ? What function does it serve ? Where is it located, relative to the first-floor plan ? Does it overlook the interior, or have an exterior opening---perhaps sharing the slot opening containing the kitchen window ?

Pfeiffer and company do not illustrate the rectangular Lovness cottages, A and B, that Wright designed---either in Monograph 8 nor in Taschen III---just the triangular one based on the Maginel Barney design. Perhaps those drawings are missing from the file ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The loft in Lovness is above the bathroom, and shares the topmost part of the slit window in the bath, not the kitchen, which has no window. There is an overlook into the kitchen. Although it was not available when we visited the house in 2000, it would appear to be no bigger than the bath. If it has any use other than whim, I don't know what it would be.

I don't know what has happened to the plans for the 2 other cottages; perhaps Lonnie will publish them.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes---bathroom window, not kitchen---thanks.

Because the Lovness cottage is not a Wright design (though it is clearly derived from one), neither Pfeiffer nor Storrer published a plan. Fortunately, we have this one, from the cited page.

https://sethpeterson.org/documents/news ... g-2018.pdf

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

The Peterson cottage has a loft too...it is over the bath and accessed via a ladder in the utility closet off the kitchen. The vertical slit window extends up to provide the loft with natural light. The SPCC uses it for seasonal and open house supply storage.

Paul Ringstrom

Re: thank for share

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

tonnyken wrote:It is wonderful to be here with everyone, I have a lot of knowledge from what you share, to say thank you, the information and knowledge here helps me a lot
“you are young Grasshopper, but you will learn.� - Master Po
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

We maintain "radio silence" when our conversation is interrupted by a spammer---but that's an apt and amusing response ...!

S