Mark Mills Papers

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks. I could have sworn I saw the zig-zag A-frame-plus framing of this little house, in section, somewhere.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Courtesy of Jay:

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The photo from Jay is published in "New Homes for Western Living" from Sunset Books, page 27. On the same page is a view toward the south end of the room, behind the dining pic. The concrete base is about 3.5' to 4'. The rafters are 4"x6", at 45 degrees. The two single beds in the corners double as couches ... or the other way around.

By now I suppose you have determined that the plan as built is a mirror image of the perspective.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Well, we're clearly not at the carport end of the house. I think the view is correct---but the carport support is rashly omitted. A car is present, however ...

The fenestration is radically different in its divisions.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

You're right. I was thinking that flat-roofed area was the dining room.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Would like to know how the timbers of the frame are secured to the masonry base wall.

Tom

Post by Tom »

the B&W of the dining room shows the glass wall in it's original location.
The color shot from DRN shows the glass wall in a new expanded location.

I assume the the floor is a radiant slab?

The concrete Huntington Hartford pier at the end of the dining bench supports
one end of a frame and gives us the height of the peripheral concrete wall.
In one sense it's an odd combination.
In another sense it works just fine.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Expanding the dining room wall out and placing the dining area on the outside of the built-in bench created a sort of alcove of ~8'x10'. How much ya wanna bet there's a TV in that space? From a design standpoint, the original was a superior arrangement. It integrated the dining area with the rest of the plan, while the new location is more arbitrary.

jay

Post by jay »

I enjoyed the letter from Ansel Adams to the architect:
https://digital.lib.calpoly.edu/rekl-50 ... fset%5D=24

[The very Usonian floor plan Adams is gushing about:
https://digital.lib.calpoly.edu/rekl-50 ... ffset%5D=0 ]

Tom

Post by Tom »

The Haas House is my least favorite of all - certainly of all the concrete houses.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Priceless. Sounds like the ideal client ... not ! Into every architect's life a little rain must fall ?

To the designer of a plan like that of the A-frame house, Wright's long bedroom hallways (em, galleries) must seem like a questionable indulgence ? There could hardly be a more sensible or efficient arrangement.

On the other hand, the entrance gallery (!) blows the budget instead ? Perhaps the composer needed a reason to extend the flat roof past the carport ...

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Tom, I agree. The exterior reminds me of some sort of bottom-feeding sea creature, like a sea cucumber, crawling down the slope toward the ocean.

Can't win them all.

Tom

Post by Tom »

RG: yes, it has that strange non-architectural association ...cartoonish association.

On the other hand I've come to find, to my surprise, that I really like the Farrar house.
Looks like it's a single room, and single bedroom house.
The only thing I find missing there is natural light coming through the roof.
... but I think the sculptural form is strong.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Look what I found
Not sure where the link will come in but this is the best
I've seen of the house so far:
scroll up first

https://books.google.com/books?id=NFYEA ... ls&f=false

You know it looks like something Breuer might have wanted to do.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Mills seems to be practicing what Wright preached: Begin with an Idea for the building. In these two houses (Haas and Farrar) the Idea seems to have been a form
that would unite a stepping-stone plan---to clothe a terraced environment with a single sheltering envelope. One solution is clearly more appealing than the other ...

S