Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Frederic P. Lyman
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Frederic P. Lyman Reply with quote

Had never heard of this guy before:

https://www.corybuckner.com/lyman-house
Matt2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Cory some years ago. She wrote a nice book on Crestwood Hills and gave me a tour of her terrific house there (I think A Quincy Jones and Edgardo Cortini?). Look forward to reading this one.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cory's house was the pilot model at Mutual Housing Association/Crestwood Hills. The project is credited to Whitney R Smith, A Quincy Jones, Architects, and Edgardo Contini, Engineer.

She wrote the book on Jones: https://www.amazon.com/Quincy-Jones-Cory-Buckner/dp/0714848433

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=7214

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the Lyman House, published in HB in the 50s. It served me as an inspiration for years. It was an exquisite gem. Obviously it no longer exists, considering what has happened to Malibu real estate in the past several decades, but having a record of it would be nice.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just purchased what they say is the last copy on Amazon---for the time being ? I'll share some content when I have it in hand---supposedly on Tuesday.

S
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My book has arrived, in its original shrink-wrap. Corners just slightly beaten.

Wow. A unique architectural soul. In the course of looking at his life we are taken to Yale in 1950, the year that George Howe took the helm of the
architecture department---soon to be joined by a Mr Kahn, traveling by rail from Philadelphia to lecture there---and, in the same year, the arrival of
Josef Albers as chairman of the Department of Art.

In the end, Lyman credits his own father, an architect of the Beaux Arts persuasion (as was Howe, before 1929), Frank Lloyd Wright, and Eugene
Nalle, a Yale instructor who introduced the student to Japanese building, as "the three great architectural influences of his life."

And, looking at the subject of the early parts of the book, Lyman's own Malibu house, I see where Schweikher found the roof---if not the whole barn
---of his last house, in Arizona ...?

The book is filled with Lyman's drawings and illustrations. Well worth my $17.03 + shipping.

S
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone else is interested in purchasing this book just search Google for the ISBN: 9780997546002 and you will find several other sources that sell this book, if Amazon is indeed "out".
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book is only three years old. I will present a short selection of the very many black-and-white and full color illustrations. In addition to his own
home and one other built residence, Lyman designed dozens of structures, illustrating them with colored-pencil drawings that are a real treat. I show
examples of two of these unbuilt houses ...

Cory Buckner learned to draw and to become an architect in the Lyman house. Her story evokes that of Esther McCoy and RM Schindler. The house
served consecutively as family residence, architectural office, batchelor pad, and painting studio, before Lyman sold it to another architect---who
transformed the house into "a pastiche covered in stucco and decorated with Mexican tiles." "The architect responsible delighted in calling Lyman to tell
him of the changes and how much money he had made by selling it to another party. The house burned to the ground in the Las Flores fire of 1993 ..."

Copyright © 2016 by Crestwood Hills Press and Cory Buckner

Last edited by SDR on Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of his own house Lyman wrote, "The house grows from years spent in and about my father's architectural office, my grandfather's cabinet shop,
my stepfather's logging camps, and from two Yale Professors who developed my basic knowledge of wood structural systems."

S
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great.
My copy arrived shrink wrapped in plastic last week just before I left for Annapolis.
Back now.
Looking forward to dialogue on Lyman.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyman's own house alone earns him a place in the history of great architects.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author Buckner points to an unusual aspect of the house: its frame is rigid, designed to take shear loads in the plane parallel to the roof bents. I guess
that's what some bolted connection hardware, connecting 8 x 10 posts and those rafters as seen in the model, is about.

Lyman wrote: "The main living section of the house would be a box built as much like a piece of furniture as possible. Expansion and contraction, which is not a grave problem in small objects such as furniture but is in
large objects such as houses, would be held under control by large wedges. Since expansion is a problem in wood only laterally, I decided to make the lateral dimensions wood and the longitudinal dimensions glass."

I can't interpret that last sentence---but in any event the large wedges, which elsewhere are mentioned as keeping the floor and wall boards tight, are
evident in photos. And, there's some interesting ironwork deployed in the area of the eaves ...

Marvin Rand photo
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare to Greene & Greene ? While some of those boys' visible structure might have been decorative (a little of it, at least---see Edward R Ford), the
suave constructivism of their work is reborn, in the raw--- but made with selected and dressed material, as can be seen in Lyman's own photos, above.

Aren't those the honking-biggest bolted-mortise and tenon joints you've ever seen---this side of a barn or warehouse from the last century and before ?

Fred Lyman paid tribute to Ise Grand Shrine, as well. His fine two-story stair, and other diagonals, at least, might have come from earlier minimalists like
the designers of Ise, c. 635 AD.

https://www.spacesmith.com/blog/grand-shrine-of-ise

S
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the Japanese Cypress tree are chosen hundreds of years in advance ...."
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah---I hadn't heard that. What's wanted are straight trunks (boles), of even form (i.e., cylindrical), I would think. The largest of these at Ise is four feet in diameter (!).

The supply of these Hinoki trees in Japan has been exhausted; the wood now comes from Korea.

I first saw an aerial photo of the site in MoMA's 1955 book, which my parents gave me for Christmas, 1956.

Look at the moss that's in the process of taking over the thatched roofs, in that color aerial.

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: