E. Fay Jones in Mena, Carver house, Mena AR

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
BBuck

E. Fay Jones in Mena, Carver house, Mena AR

Post by BBuck »

Seems the fire damage and repair have been addressed poorly. The furniture sold on eBay. What was is not now. Sad.

https://www.homes.com/property/mena-ar- ... 078019885/

SDR

Post by SDR »

Bizarre. Exterior photos only ? The masonry is half-way between brick and stone---in appearance. Magnificent carport,
even if I don't favor skinny small-unit stone pillars. But the front door doesn't suggest an owner who knows where he is.

And this: "This home was designed by architects E. Fay Jones & Frank Lloyd Wright specifically for a ..."

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

Sad indeed. The form is there, as is much of the exterior, but the combustible interior details and the exterior fenestration has been put back in a very “builderly� way. The almost bristling level of detail typically seen in a Jones house of this size is absent.
This is a clear example of how important the part to whole relationship present in the fine detailing and the proportions of windows and doors are to an organic building.

Still, it is a great house, but what was lost is considerable.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

It isn't in the book.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Exterior photos of the house (pre-fire) are on pp145-146 of Craig Stevens' great E. Fay Jones Guide Book.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Here is the posted interior, after alteration. Can anyone provide a roughly matching shot of the original condition ?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Bill Buck was kind enough to contribute two "before" photos of Carver---and a link to the resource that provided those shots. Thanks, Bill !

https://ahouseoftheozarks.uark.edu/image-gallery.html

BBuck

Post by BBuck »

Well I guess I should just keep to myself. From the builder/owner:

Mr Buck

I am sending you this message threw my friend/realtor. Mr Jones was an apprentice to Mr Wright. Mr Jones studied and liked Mr Wright's design so well they he held things in or around the same scope of Mr Wright. As to what I have added and taken away from the original home is my preference. I have built many high end homes for very well known people. The metal rail is in place for safety measures and will be replaced with a MODERN oak rail. The cabinets will be built to match. I am not a fan of Mr Jones or Mr Wright so this house will now be what I wish for it to be. I do have the original blue prints and am very qualified to build it back to a 70's home with tons of waisted space and bad ideas. I am putting this house together how may people will find it more desirable to live in. If not  I will list my other homes for sale and move in later or rent it out as a vacation rental. If you feel this is a horrible decision, please feel free to present a offer to Rhonda and build it how best would meet your desire. 

Thank you!
Mr.Rosson 

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ouch ! The Art, she is a delicate flower, easily bruised. Not often trampled upon with quite such glee, but---there you go.

S

jay

Post by jay »

I might be daydreaming here, but for $100 a square foot, this could be a great deal for a hands-on type of person who'd like to live in an organic house while simultaneously restoring it to Fay Jones' plans (which come with the sale).